Home Register Todays Posts Community
You can search the forums by entering your criteria here:

Welcome to the Cooking Forums.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
Username: 
Password:   
Not yet a member? Join Us Now

Go Back   CookingForums.net > General > General Cooking Discussion

Notices

Old 04-16-2012
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by natt12321 View Post
Reheated rice can certainly be dangerous. The actual cause is a spore forming bacteria that survives the cooking process called Bacillus Cereus. It multiplies in the danger zone (5C - 63C) and forms a spore outside these temperatures to survive. The following articles both describe the dangers of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talking...27/2475255.htm

But how in the world can someone be in danger of eating reheated rice?

I always thought that the cooking process destroys bacteria, sine the water has to boil in order to cook the rice. Supposedly, any bacteria & germs are killed in boiling liquid.

I've always ate reheated rice as far back as I can remember, and this goes back to when we were all kids still in the nest.

Only time that I had rice spoiled on me is when I was visiting my dear late brother in SC one Thanksgiving n and I made yellow rice. It sat out too long and had spoiled. Of course, we threw it away.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!
Old 04-16-2012
Super Moderator

I forgot.

I DID have rice spoil in the fridge, Had to toss it out though.

Old 04-16-2012

It has to sit out for quite a while to spoil. Like a couple of days. I never let my rice sit out, though. I just put it in the fridge and heat it in the microwave when I want to finish it. But I have seen rice that sat out too long. Not something you would want to put in your mouth, that's for sure!
Old 04-16-2012
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
It has to sit out for quite a while to spoil. Like a couple of days. I never let my rice sit out, though. I just put it in the fridge and heat it in the microwave when I want to finish it. But I have seen rice that sat out too long. Not something you would want to put in your mouth, that's for sure!
That's not actually true, it only take a couple of hours for the toxins to be of a level to cause illness. The toxins are also not killed during reheating.

The issue with rice is that the bacteria is spore forming as I mentioned, this means that it needs to be heated to around 112C to be killed (with the boiling point of water being 100C, the high temperature needed doesn't usually get reached during cooking). At around 60C and below 5C the bacteria puts on a little jacket (or forms a spore) to protect itself from the suboptimal conditions, but when it's jacket comes off it starts to release toxins which can't be removed by reheating. These toxins are the real problem, not so much the bacillus cereus itself. The toxins aren't released in the rice packaging as the rice is dry which is another type of suboptimal condition for the bacteria to live in, so once again on goes it's little protective jacket until it gets nice and warm and wet (such as after it's been cooked).

Pre-cooked packaged rice is treated with extreme caution. Usually there are no people involved in the packaging of it, it's all done in a controlled environment by machines. The rice is blasted at 112C before being packed with nitrogen 'just to be safe'.

Advice to people who save rice tends to be that if it has been in the danger zone for 4 hours or more it should be disposed of as it is too high risk to eat. As DarkGinger said it is a risk not a certainty as the offending bacteria is not always present, but it's a risk that I sure don't take. Rice is also not the only place this bacteria can be found, however it is the most common place that is it found.

Hope that clears things up BDH.
Old 04-16-2012
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanx, Natt12321!

Tangerine, I NEVER let cooked rice sit out THAT long!!!!!!

Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 04-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
Thanx, Natt12321!

Tangerine, I NEVER let cooked rice sit out THAT long!!!!!!
Hahaha! Me neither, but I know people who have. I prefer rice that is freshly made though. It seems it loses a little something when you re-heat it anyway. Think so?
Old 04-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by natt12321 View Post
That's not actually true, it only take a couple of hours for the toxins to be of a level to cause illness. The toxins are also not killed during reheating.

The issue with rice is that the bacteria is spore forming as I mentioned, this means that it needs to be heated to around 112C to be killed (with the boiling point of water being 100C, the high temperature needed doesn't usually get reached during cooking). At around 60C and below 5C the bacteria puts on a little jacket (or forms a spore) to protect itself from the suboptimal conditions, but when it's jacket comes off it starts to release toxins which can't be removed by reheating. These toxins are the real problem, not so much the bacillus cereus itself. The toxins aren't released in the rice packaging as the rice is dry which is another type of suboptimal condition for the bacteria to live in, so once again on goes it's little protective jacket until it gets nice and warm and wet (such as after it's been cooked).

Pre-cooked packaged rice is treated with extreme caution. Usually there are no people involved in the packaging of it, it's all done in a controlled environment by machines. The rice is blasted at 112C before being packed with nitrogen 'just to be safe'.

Advice to people who save rice tends to be that if it has been in the danger zone for 4 hours or more it should be disposed of as it is too high risk to eat. As DarkGinger said it is a risk not a certainty as the offending bacteria is not always present, but it's a risk that I sure don't take. Rice is also not the only place this bacteria can be found, however it is the most common place that is it found.

Hope that clears things up BDH.
Very good info. I won't forget it!
Old 04-16-2012
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hahaha! Me neither, but I know people who have. I prefer rice that is freshly made though. It seems it loses a little something when you re-heat it anyway. Think so?

And I wouldn't go to their houses to eat either!!!!!

Old 04-22-2012

About 3-4 days. I never have any problem with storing cooked rice in the fridge, but make sure its cooled and place in an airtight container. It never goes dry, hard or loses its flavor and I've been doing this for over 20yrs.
Old 04-23-2012
Super Moderator

I've stored rice in the fridge for a long time as well.

it's just that it gets hard while in there. I was always curious as to why it does that, but it seems as though the starch is the culprit.