Home Register Todays Posts Community
You can search the forums by entering your criteria here:
 
Welcome to the Cooking Forums.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
Username: 
Password:   
Not yet a member? Join Us Now
 

Go Back   CookingForums.net > General > General Cooking Discussion

 
Notices
 

Reply
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-16-2012
Big Daddy's House's Avatar
Big Daddy's House Big Daddy's House is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Roxbury, MA.
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natt12321 View Post
Reheated rice can certainly be dangerous. The actual cause is a spore forming bacteria that survives the cooking process called Bacillus Cereus. It multiplies in the danger zone (5C - 63C) and forms a spore outside these temperatures to survive. The following articles both describe the dangers of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talking...27/2475255.htm


But how in the world can someone be in danger of eating reheated rice?

I always thought that the cooking process destroys bacteria, sine the water has to boil in order to cook the rice. Supposedly, any bacteria & germs are killed in boiling liquid.

I've always ate reheated rice as far back as I can remember, and this goes back to when we were all kids still in the nest.

Only time that I had rice spoiled on me is when I was visiting my dear late brother in SC one Thanksgiving n and I made yellow rice. It sat out too long and had spoiled. Of course, we threw it away.
__________________
~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2012
Big Daddy's House's Avatar
Big Daddy's House Big Daddy's House is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Roxbury, MA.
Posts: 7,535
Default

I forgot.

I DID have rice spoil in the fridge, Had to toss it out though.
__________________
~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-16-2012
Tangerine's Avatar
Tangerine Tangerine is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deep South
Posts: 338
Default

It has to sit out for quite a while to spoil. Like a couple of days. I never let my rice sit out, though. I just put it in the fridge and heat it in the microwave when I want to finish it. But I have seen rice that sat out too long. Not something you would want to put in your mouth, that's for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-16-2012
natt12321's Avatar
natt12321 natt12321 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
It has to sit out for quite a while to spoil. Like a couple of days. I never let my rice sit out, though. I just put it in the fridge and heat it in the microwave when I want to finish it. But I have seen rice that sat out too long. Not something you would want to put in your mouth, that's for sure!
That's not actually true, it only take a couple of hours for the toxins to be of a level to cause illness. The toxins are also not killed during reheating.

The issue with rice is that the bacteria is spore forming as I mentioned, this means that it needs to be heated to around 112C to be killed (with the boiling point of water being 100C, the high temperature needed doesn't usually get reached during cooking). At around 60C and below 5C the bacteria puts on a little jacket (or forms a spore) to protect itself from the suboptimal conditions, but when it's jacket comes off it starts to release toxins which can't be removed by reheating. These toxins are the real problem, not so much the bacillus cereus itself. The toxins aren't released in the rice packaging as the rice is dry which is another type of suboptimal condition for the bacteria to live in, so once again on goes it's little protective jacket until it gets nice and warm and wet (such as after it's been cooked).

Pre-cooked packaged rice is treated with extreme caution. Usually there are no people involved in the packaging of it, it's all done in a controlled environment by machines. The rice is blasted at 112C before being packed with nitrogen 'just to be safe'.

Advice to people who save rice tends to be that if it has been in the danger zone for 4 hours or more it should be disposed of as it is too high risk to eat. As DarkGinger said it is a risk not a certainty as the offending bacteria is not always present, but it's a risk that I sure don't take. Rice is also not the only place this bacteria can be found, however it is the most common place that is it found.

Hope that clears things up BDH.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-16-2012
Big Daddy's House's Avatar
Big Daddy's House Big Daddy's House is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Roxbury, MA.
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
It has to sit out for quite a while to spoil. Like a couple of days. I never let my rice sit out, though. I just put it in the fridge and heat it in the microwave when I want to finish it. But I have seen rice that sat out too long. Not something you would want to put in your mouth, that's for sure!



Thanx, Natt12321!


Tangerine, I NEVER let cooked rice sit out THAT long!!!!!!
__________________
~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 04-16-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-16-2012
Tangerine's Avatar
Tangerine Tangerine is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deep South
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
Thanx, Natt12321!


Tangerine, I NEVER let cooked rice sit out THAT long!!!!!!
Hahaha! Me neither, but I know people who have. I prefer rice that is freshly made though. It seems it loses a little something when you re-heat it anyway. Think so?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-16-2012
Tangerine's Avatar
Tangerine Tangerine is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deep South
Posts: 338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by natt12321 View Post
That's not actually true, it only take a couple of hours for the toxins to be of a level to cause illness. The toxins are also not killed during reheating.

The issue with rice is that the bacteria is spore forming as I mentioned, this means that it needs to be heated to around 112C to be killed (with the boiling point of water being 100C, the high temperature needed doesn't usually get reached during cooking). At around 60C and below 5C the bacteria puts on a little jacket (or forms a spore) to protect itself from the suboptimal conditions, but when it's jacket comes off it starts to release toxins which can't be removed by reheating. These toxins are the real problem, not so much the bacillus cereus itself. The toxins aren't released in the rice packaging as the rice is dry which is another type of suboptimal condition for the bacteria to live in, so once again on goes it's little protective jacket until it gets nice and warm and wet (such as after it's been cooked).

Pre-cooked packaged rice is treated with extreme caution. Usually there are no people involved in the packaging of it, it's all done in a controlled environment by machines. The rice is blasted at 112C before being packed with nitrogen 'just to be safe'.

Advice to people who save rice tends to be that if it has been in the danger zone for 4 hours or more it should be disposed of as it is too high risk to eat. As DarkGinger said it is a risk not a certainty as the offending bacteria is not always present, but it's a risk that I sure don't take. Rice is also not the only place this bacteria can be found, however it is the most common place that is it found.

Hope that clears things up BDH.
Very good info. I won't forget it!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-16-2012
Big Daddy's House's Avatar
Big Daddy's House Big Daddy's House is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Roxbury, MA.
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Hahaha! Me neither, but I know people who have. I prefer rice that is freshly made though. It seems it loses a little something when you re-heat it anyway. Think so?



And I wouldn't go to their houses to eat either!!!!!
__________________
~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-22-2012
LauraGovan LauraGovan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 70
Default

About 3-4 days. I never have any problem with storing cooked rice in the fridge, but make sure its cooled and place in an airtight container. It never goes dry, hard or loses its flavor and I've been doing this for over 20yrs.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-23-2012
Big Daddy's House's Avatar
Big Daddy's House Big Daddy's House is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Roxbury, MA.
Posts: 7,535
Default

I've stored rice in the fridge for a long time as well.

it's just that it gets hard while in there. I was always curious as to why it does that, but it seems as though the starch is the culprit.
__________________
~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM.

Newsletter
Subscribe by e-mail to receive special cooking forum deals and offers. It's free!
Name:
Email:
Advertisements




Our Partners

 
   
TOP Archive Calendar Memberlist Advertise Links Contact Us
Copyright © 2006-2013 CookingForums.net, a Merendi Networks Inc. project.
Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.7. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.