Home Register Todays Posts Community
You can search the forums by entering your criteria here:

Welcome to the Cooking Forums.
You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!
Username: 
Password:   
Not yet a member? Join Us Now

Go Back   CookingForums.net > General > Baking

Notices

Old 02-18-2012

Awesome cakes Natt! How did you make the roses on your giant cupcake (in the icing?).
Old 02-18-2012
Super Moderator

You pretty much just pipe in reverse, so start in the centre instead of the edge. I would rather have used a sharper tube to pipe with, but the effect is still what I want.
Old 02-23-2012
Super Moderator

I actually have SS to thank for finding out about this idea because she reminded me about Pinterest where I found the idea the other day.

They are simple Victoria sponge batter, as it was the first time trying it I didn't want to make it too complicated. Would definitely work well with different mixes of flavours though.

Closer up of inside

Last edited by natt12321; 02-23-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-23-2012

Lovely cupcakes Natt! How did you get the heart inside them?
Old 02-23-2012
Super Moderator

I found this link on Pinterest http://madewithloveby.me/2011/03/how...your-cupcakes/

It's made out to be pretty complicated when all you do is bake a small tray of any coloured sponge until is it just baked. Let it cool and then cut shapes out that are small enough to fit in cupcake cakes. They suggest freezing them to prevent overbaking on the second bake, but I didn't find it a problem to be honest.

Then place each cake shape into each cupcake case and surround with plain cake batter and bake.

The heart in this one rose a little, they didn't all rise but I'm gonna do another trial run before I make the actual wedding cupcakes that these were practices for.
Old 02-24-2012

Default Rye Bread

We don't buy bread anymore since I've been baking my own loaves.
Usually it's the standard white bread, a modified version of Amish White that is on Allrecipes dot com.
Today I did a loaf of rye bread. Baking bread is always an adventure for me. Try as I might, I can never be completely consistent -- MEANING the loaves turn out slightly different every time. They're still delicious and edible, just a little chewier or denser, or sweeter (or not) than the last time.
Baking is such an imperfect art - depending on the definition of perfect. All rye breads are tasty per Se, but as rye breads go this loaf was SLIGHTLY less than I hoped for. My recipe (always subject to change) used all propose flour - difficult to get the loaf to rise without it, but in this case I may have used too much. It tastes like a cross between wheat bread and rye. Also the loaf is a little tall, meaning I let it rise in the pan an extra hour before oven time. It's nice and light and fluffy. Would make awesome sandwich bread, but not as savory as a denser rye would be.

Whatdayathink:

I see it like working on polishing the paint on a car. I can fine sand, basic polish with rubbing compound, polish with fine grit, super polish after that and from 5 feet away it looks like a mirror. But when I get close up like 3 inches with a bright light at an angle I can see tiny scratches that will never really go away. Meaning no matter how hard I try, I will never, ever achieve perfection. But it's sure fun to try!

Baking is like that.
Old 02-24-2012
Super Moderator

Tunaoue, I thought it looked like a brilliant brown loaf with a great crumb until you said it was rye! It lookes like a lovely light loaf though, and although it may not be what you were hoping for, technique wise it looks pretty great!

Today I made cupcakes for a girl at work who is moving to start a new job in London this week. They are vanilla sponge with purple hearts and flowers in the centres (like my last photo, only purple!)

Old 02-24-2012
Super Moderator

Dag, nice work, Tunaoue & Natt!!

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2012

My b/f's birthday is coming up soon. I will be baking a very chocolate cake for him!
Old 03-06-2012
Super Moderator

I've still got another cake to do this week, but so far I have done:

Cupcakes for a friends wedding, the theme was hearts

Converse shoe

I'm particularly chuffed with this one, I think it came out really well.