Homemade labels for freezer bags?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade labels for freezer bags?

Does anyone here have any tips or tricks for making homemade labels for freezer bags? I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce in the Crock Pot last night and today I want to freeze about half of it in freezer bags. I want to label them with the date so I'll know how long they've been in the freezer.

I just use a Sharpie. The ink tends to stay on there pretty well and it's a cheaper and easier solution than making and printing labels.

Comment

Brother PT- 2430 PC Label Maker.jpg

Or you can get one of THESE to hook up with your computer.

Paid about $69 for it at a Staples store. Tape label refills in various widths & colors are available there as well.
      Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 11-12-2014, 03:29 PM.
      ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by DragonFire View Post
        I just use a Sharpie. The ink tends to stay on there pretty well and it's a cheaper and easier solution than making and printing labels.

Sharpie has never worked well for me; the ink always smudges and then I have trouble reading whatever is written on the bag.

Maybe I'll go with a label maker like Big Daddy's House suggested; I hadn't really thought of that before.

Comment

But I think that the trick is to put it on the bags of containers before you put the cold food in it, so that the condensation from the cold food does not stop the label from sticking.
          ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
            But I think that the trick is to put it on the bags of containers before you put the cold food in it, so that the condensation from the cold food does not stop the label from sticking.

Oh I do. I'll write on it and let it dry before I put anything in the bag. Then I'll put it in the freezer "smudge free" and somehow when it comes back out, it's magically smudged. I don't get it. It's like all my magic markers (or freezer bags) are defective!

Edit: Scratch that last. At first I thought you were talking about writing on the bags with Sharpies. When I went back and re-read it, I realized that you are talking about sticking labels on the bags. My mistake!

Comment

Sharpie user here as well. We purchased a label maker a few months ago but the tape for it is ridiculously expensive so I would rather just use a marker and save the money instead for something else.

Comment

Yeah, if I could get the Sharpie to stay on the bags without smudging, that's what I'd just as soon do, too. For some reason, though, it always smudges. I even write on the bags before I fill them with food. I wonder if maybe it is the bags?

Comment

I write on the bags before I put anything in them. I make sure that the marker dries before I handle the bags. I use a Sharpie too. I have never had any problems.

Comment

Same here. Most freezer bags have place to write on. Its a white background and exactly designed for writing on. OP. Are you sure you are using a permanent marker? Sharpie makes dry erase markers too and washable markers for kids.
                    Make sure it says "Permanent Marker". I have never had a problem with smudging unless I handled the bag before the marker ink dried. Once it dries, its very hard to remove less smudge.

Comment

If you have Microsoft Word, there are label templates. Once you have the template, you can then cut and paste into the template and print out the labels.

Comment

https://uk.pinterest.com/fillmorejars/label-it/
                        or have a look here?

Comment

For container marking we use paper stick on's as they come right off when you wash the container. It helps to allow them to soak for few minutes before washing right off. Easy.
                          My wife puts them on the plastic lid.

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X