• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Does Octopus Taste Like?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Hot Topics This Month

Hot Topics This Month Module
Collapse

• Big Daddy's House
    Bread dough by hand or machine?
    Big Daddy's House
    How many of you like to make and knead bread dough by hand? How many of you like to do it by machine?

By machine, it would be processed by...
    4 weeks ago
  • rowan
    Grilled Cheese
    rowan
    Lately I've had a hankering for grilled cheese, but I want to try something different. I've been musing over different things I could add to my grilled...
    2 weeks ago
  • Big Daddy's House
    Doctoring up certain foods?
    Big Daddy's House
    Have any of you ever had to doctor up certain types of foods?

By that, I mean did you ever have to add certain things to a dish to make it...
    4 weeks ago
  • ChocolateChip
    Water and wine
    ChocolateChip
    I have travelled to some countries where they add sparkling water to their red wine. I am honestly undecided as to if I like it or not. I love a good...
    2 weeks ago
  • AsmaMohd
    Delicious Tiramisu Recipe.
    AsmaMohd
    Description: A wildly popular Italian cake, Tiramisu is traditionally flavored with coffee, cocoa and liquor.

Video URL:
    https://clip.mn/video/yt-mK5cDcfvo3s...
    1 day ago
  • ChocolateChip
    Favorite Cheese?
    ChocolateChip
    I think I would have to say that one of my favorite cheeses is a good quality Swiss. I like the tanginess of it. Aged cheddar and Brie are pretty yummy...
    2 weeks ago
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going off the topic a bit here - but, as reported above, calamari is Greek for 'squid'. Kalimera is Greek for 'good morning'. I am easily confused, as were the Greeks I used to smile at and say 'squid' to as I went out for my early morning swim when on holiday in Cyprus True story!

Comment

Ink supposedly comes from octopus, right?
      ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
        Ink supposedly comes from octopus, right?
        Both squid and octopus produce ink and use it as a defense. the ink colors the water and hides the creature and it is thought that it also interferes with the olfactory organs of some animals.

Comment

Thought so, thanx.
          ~BDH.

Comment

Squid ink pasta is nice - you can make some really striking looking dishes with black pasta. I've come across recipes that call for squid ink, and I know my local fishmonger could probably provide it - but somehow I don't feel attracted to it!

Comment

I think that I'd get sick just looking at it!!
              ~BDH.

Comment

"Black pasta" just sounds wrong...just sayin

Comment

I do not understand why people find black spaghetti so objectionable ! As Darkginger mentioned, it allows a lot of scope in food creativity and presentation. The flavor is very subtle and does not overpower other ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by PappaLazarou View Post
                    I do not understand why people find black spaghetti so objectionable ! As Darkginger mentioned, it allows a lot of scope in food creativity and presentation. The flavor is very subtle and does not overpower other ingredients.

Looks creepy!!!!!!
                    ~BDH.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
                      Looks creepy!!!!!!
                      IMO, I agree! I like black beans, but not black pasta! It's just wrong...

Comment

Squid ink pasta really does have a nice, subtle flavor. I've never made it at home, but I've eaten it in restaurants and it's quite good. And the color is a great foil for lighter colored foods. It helps you avoid that white on white on white hospital look to your plate!
                        OMG! I decided to blog!

Comment

OK, Silversage, you've talked me into trying it. Now all I have to do is find some.

Comment

I've seen squid ink in Asian markets. That's where I would try first. I've seen enough live squid and squid ink to last me a lifetime. We used to catch a night after we had all her chores done when I was commercial fishing on an albacore bait boat. A 2 foot squid will pull harder than a 30 pound albacore believe it or not. They have incredible power with that jet propulsion that they used to propel themselves in the water. They were fun to catch but not so much fun to clean up the Ink.

Comment

Noop don't think you ate octopus because i had octopus rings and the texture of that is rubbery and stringy, from what Timothy said it probably wasn't cooked right but even when it's cooked right it's still quite a stringy texture but it's more softer.

Comment

I am very fond of Octopus. Coat it with olive oil, season with salt and cracked black pepper grilled over very hot coals for just a few minutes.
                                Serve immediately with lemon wedge and crusty bread. Fantastic.

Its also great in marinara sauce.
                                Heat some olive oil in a saute pan. Quickly saute octopus with fresh garlic. Sprinkle with coarse salt, and cracked pepper.
                                Add hot marinara and heat through. Serve with linguine and hot crusty bread.
                                Garnish with lemon slices and Italian parsley.

Comment

Working...
                                X