Crockpot Spaghetti

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crockpot Spaghetti

Has anyone done this before? Depending on the type of pasta I get (and the brand) I can let it cook on low for about five hours and sometimes I can manage to get it done within about three if I am really on my game. Plop the noodles in with a large jar of sauce and I am good to go after 2 cups of water. Does anyone do it different?

I've made spaghetti in the Crock Pot before but only the sauce. It comes out so much better than if you cook the sauce on the stove! I'll usually brown the meat and then throw everything together into the Crock Pot on low overnight. The next day I boil the noodles and then dinner is done.

Comment

I prefer to boil my noodles and not cook them in the sauce. You really need to boil them to get some of the starch out, otherwise all that starch goes into the sauce and it just doesn't taste right.

The only time I use the slow cooker for pasta is to keep it warm while serving it buffet style.
      Last edited by WendyR; 10-07-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I am like Wendy; I prefer to boil the noodles separately and then top them with the sauce in the bowl or on the plate. I will cook the sauce in the Crock Pot, though. It makes it taste a lot better if you can cook it on low all day.

Comment

I've actually never had spaghetti in the crockpot before, though I guess because if I'm cooking spaghetti, I want to be ready to eat in 30 minutes or less! The crockpot is one of my favorite tools in the kitchen though, so maybe I'll have to give this a chance when I'm out working all day.

Comment

But isn't the spaghetti like mush when it is done?
            ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

I like my pasta al dente. Cooked just right. This could not be achieved in a crock pot IMO.
              I gave my crock pot away. We never used it.

On the occasion we did use it, we always browned the meat and any vegetables before they were put into the pot.
              I can think of a couple good dishes for the crock pot. Spaghetti would not be one of them.

Comment

I have done both. The issue I deal with now is that I have been lazy and I need to pick up some more pots & pans, so I have a missing pot (it was dropped on the floor and shattered) that needs replaced. If I can dump everything into the crock-pot and just let it do it's thing I am fine. Otherwise making everything for me takes twice as long.

The pasta won't get soggy if you lower the temperature and don't let it run too long too. If you like al dente, you can just toss the pasta in for the last 30 minutes and you should be fine.

Comment

I agree that crock pot sauce is the way to go, the slow cooking seems to make the flavors truer and richer. But I didn't even know you could do the noodles in the crock pot too. I'm not too sure if I would like that, to be honest. I agree about wanting it to be done fast, so I think it's an easier thing to just boil the noodles and not worry about if they will turn out all right.

Comment

Speaking of Crock Pots. have you guys seen the Casserole Crock Pot Yet? Looks amazing and you can use it in your oven if you want to bake in it.
                    Mary

I'm not a chef, and I don't play on one television

Comment

sorry it won't add the link you will have to look it up on walmart or Amazon. they are much cheaper at walmart
                      Shop Crock-Pot at the Amazon Kitchen Small Appliances store. Free Shipping on eligible items. Everyday low prices, save up to 50%.
                      Mary

Comment

not sure what is going on but it keeps telling me that the links are invalid. AARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!
                        Mary

Comment

I've never heard of crockpot spaghetti. When you do make this, are you worried about the noodles getting too soft? That's what happens usually when you boil them for too long. But then again, I never used a crock pot before.

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X