Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Candied Yams or Sweet Potatoes.

Ingredients;

3 to 5lbs yams or sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into medium size pieces.

3/4 cup sugar.

3/4 cup water.

3/4 cup light brown sugar.

3/4 cup honey.

1/2 stick butter.

1 pinch each;

Salt, cinnamon, nutmeg & allspice.

I can pineapple chunks - juice & all.

1/2 cup raisins.

1/2 cup walnuts or pecans (optional).

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract.

1 tsp. pure lemon extract.

1/2 cup bourbon whiskey (optional).

1/3 cup cold water (reserved).

2 level tblsp. corn starch (reserved).

Directrions;

Place cut up yams or sweet potatoes in large pot - preferably a 5-qt Dutch Oven. Add 16 of the ingredients in the order listed. Reserve cold water & cornstarch for later.

Bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about one hour or so, until potatoes are soft and liquid is almost like syrup. In small bowl, mix reserved cold water & cornstarch to make a slurry until blended together with no lumps.

Pour slurry mixture evenly over potatoes. Holding pot by it's two handles, gently swirl & shake the slurry & hot liquid to evenly ditribute in pot. Liquid will thicken slightly. Do not sir, or potatoes will break up!
    Serve hot or warm.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

Note;

This recipe has been in our family for years. I simply modified it by adding extra ingredients, such as the pineapple chunks, raisins, walnuts & bourbon whiskey.

~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

He posted an interesting link, but he contributed nothing pertaining to the recipe itself, except to say thanks for sharing, but nonetheless, he's a spammer.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

I've always wondered how you make candied yams! I'm not sure I would like it with the pineapple and raisins, though. Could I just skip those two and the whiskey and add everything else?

Comment

Yes you can.
        ~BDH.

Comment

I wish I had come across this recipe before Thanksgiving or Christmas! I went off the radar for a while, but it would have been nice to make this for one of those two holidays. I wound up just making sweet potato pies.

Comment

Originally posted by TeenyWeeny View Post
            I wish I had come across this recipe before Thanksgiving or Christmas! I went off the radar for a while, but it would have been nice to make this for one of those two holidays. I wound up just making sweet potato pies.
            With a pound and a half of sugars to 3 pounds o f potatoes, you were better off with your pie. This recipe was a diabetic's nightmare. Big Daddy, are you diabetic?

Scrub your sweet potatoes and bake them at 400F for 45-60 minutes. Split open and slather with fresh butter. Healthy - vitamin rich - delicious.
            Last edited by SilverSage; 01-03-2015, 08:57 PM.
            OMG! I decided to blog!

Comment

Yes I am, and?

I don't make this often - hence that is what its name implies. Candied yams or Sweet Potatoes. In moderation is ok.

Think of all the other things that have a ton of sugar in then. And truthfully, it really does not come as sweet as you make it to be, and my blood sugar level is always too low, never too high. The pancreas is not making enough insulin. I can NEVER go on a low-carb diet, simply because some starch is needed to help balance the glucose level to keep it at a safe level.

If or when I go into a hypoglycemic attack, it is always because my glucose level has gone down too low. Guess what? Sugar in some form is what's needed to return the glucose level back to it normal level.

You don't have to like it or make it if you don't want to, but at the same time, please don't badmouth the recipe or those who might want to try it. I don't badmouth anything that you like to make or eat. Thank you.
              Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 08-12-2015, 11:54 AM.
              ~BDH.

Comment

If your blood sugar levels are too low, wouldn't that indicate a need for a reduction in medication (ie insulin) rather than an increase in sugar?

Comment

I'm not on insulin I'm on pills Glipizide. I haven't had to take insulin shots though they did it once when I was in the hospital.
                  ~BDH.

Comment

Glipizide helps your pancreas to produce insulin. It would not need to produce so much insulin if you ate less sugar (it is very easy to cut most sugar out of your diet if you are cooking from fresh natural ingredients), and therefore your dosage would be lower. Honestly Sherm, eating high sugar foods is a really bad idea (even if you do it very rarely) if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic - you should be trying to level out your blood sugar levels - a huge injection of simple carbohydrates (like sugar) is not good for you. Have a word with your nutritionist about keeping your blood sugar levels steady, if they are regularly too low there is something wrong with your medication level. TBH from what you've written on here before, I would be looking at finding a nutritionist/dietician who is more aware of recent developments in the study of diabetes, as the advice you tell us you are getting seems very outdated to me, and the idea that a low carb diet would be detrimental to your health is just - well - mistaken. This is probably not the place to bang on about this, but every time you post about your diabetes, I find it very frustrating - you could improve your condition no end by diet alone, but it seems your advisers are stuck in the 80s!

Comment

My doc changed the medicine to Gilipizde because he felt that the previous medicine which was Glyburide, was not affective enough.

Still if by any chance, my glucose level get too low and I start to get sick, then something sweet has to be eaten or drank to get the glucose level back up quickly, otherwise I could go into a coma and possibly die!!
                      ~BDH.

Comment

Thanks for this!

Comment

You welcome.
                          ~BDH.

Comment

Haven't had candy yams in YEARS! My Mom used to make them every Thanksgiving and they were so good. I might have to use this recipe and take a stab at 'em this year.
                            topqualitykitchencookware.com

Comment

If you want a simpler, easier stovetop version here's what I do:

Peel and cube three large Yams or Sweet Potatoes. They cook a lot faster when they are cut into smaller pieces.
                              Add about two tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to a hot large sautéing pan
                              Add about 1/4 cup of brown sugar
                              Season with salt and pepper

Cover pan and simmer until Yams/Sweet potatoes are fork tender about 20 minutes and VOILA!! You will have the most delicious sweet potatoes/yams you have ever tasted!!

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X