Clarified Butter; sediment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarified Butter; sediment

When I make Clarified butter I heat my butter to 220 degrees over med low heat until it stops sputtering, no more steam rises from the surface and the temperature begins to climb. During that process I skim the top until there is no residue after the sputtering stops. I allow the result to rest before pouring in over multiple layers of fine cheesecloth.

What I end up with is a clear, golden yellow liquid. But as this cools a white sediment forms and settles to the bottom of the jar.

I'm not sure if that's normal or if there is something wrong with the process I'm following.

Should I strain it again, and filter out the sediment and what should I do with the sediment? Can it be used for frying or sauteing or should I toss it? Or should I just stir it all together before using it?

Not need to toss it unless you are using high heat that could burn the solids.
    I leave the butter on low heat for an extended period of time. Eventually all of the solids will settle to the bottom and coagulate for the most part. That way when you strain it you end up with crystal clear clarified butter with no sediment. I use a coffee filter for straining.
    “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
    – Julia Child

Comment

Originally posted by ChefBlue View Post
      Not need to toss it unless you are using high heat that could burn the solids.
      Great thanks. If I'm going to use high heat I'll just skim off the top and avoid the solids
      I leave the butter on low heat for an extended period of time. Eventually all of the solids will settle to the bottom and coagulate for the most part.
      I'll try that next time.
      I use a coffee filter for straining.
      Oh, great idea, no messy cheesecloth the rinse out and way finer filtering.
      Thanks so much for you help!

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

Working...
      X