Flavoring beans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flavoring beans?

Growing up, my grandma always flavored beans with some type of fat. Now, i'd really like to steer clear of using fat for flavoring for health reasons. How else can I flavor them?

Salt.
    OMG! I decided to blog!

Comment

Liquid smoke
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.

“Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain.”
      -Dave Barry

Comment

Whats with all this hate for fat? Some fat is good in the diet and it also makes things taste much better. Its also being proven over and over again its not fat that's the problem, its the refined grains and the carbohydrates that are not so good for you.
        Dr. Atkins was right. Fat is not the problem. Its carbs that are the problem.

To the beans.
        You don't need a big piece of fat to add flavor to your beans. You could use the left over bone from your holiday ham, you could use salt pork or even country ham pieces. Beans need some added flavor (unless you are going to use them in another dish) and meat and fat are what I suggest. Salt is very important also.
        Another way to kick up beans is to brown well some aromatic vegetables like carrot, onion, garlic and celery.
        Brown/saute these aromatics in a bit of oil, then add your cooking liquid and your beans.
        Don't forget the salt and pepper. The lack of salt has ruined many a recipe. When you are in a restaurant and everything tastes so much better, you wonder how they do it?
        They use lots of salt and fats. Flavor resides and is brought to the forefront with the addition of these ingredients.
        A little fat will not hurt you and it will make your food taste better.
        A little salt is as important as the item your cooking. Without salt, you might as well live on oatmeal.

Comment

Don't respond. Brianna was just one of the sockpuppets.
          OMG! I decided to blog!

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

• Gillian
            Our microwave combi stopped working!
            Gillian
            We have had our combi for just a few years - you could use it as a convection oven, grill (broiler in American speak) or microwave cooker or microwave...
            3 weeks ago
          • Gillian
            Rock Buns
            Gillian
            A long time ago a friend and I made some rock buns - also known as rock cakes - for my mum. It was my friend's recipe and although she gave me the recipe,...
            6 days ago
          Working...
          X