Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make a white cheddar cheese sauce to go over pasta?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I make a white cheddar cheese sauce to go over pasta?

My daughter loves the Pasta-roni shells and white cheddar but I don't like the trans fats and other preservatives that come with the yummy flavor.So can anybody please tell me how I can make a white cheddar sauce that tastes like or almost like the pasta roni kind?

Thank You

1 TBLS Butter
    1 TBLS Flour
    1 Cup Milk
    Shredded cheese of your choice.
    Pinch of salt

Melt butter in small sauce pan with flour. Lightly brown to cook flour.
    Add milk and whisk until thickened and smooth.
    Add cheese until desired consistency.
    Add a pinch of salt. Taste first as you may not need any.

You can eliminate the roux and just use a cup of heavy cream and add cheese until its thick and tasty.

Comment

I think Velveeta also has a white cheese now if you want to really take a shortcut. You could also make a Parmesan sauce using butter, half and half, and Parmesan cheese. You can play around with the proportions until you have it how you like it, but for two servings, I typically use 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup half and half, and somewhere between one half and one whole cup of Parmesan cheese. You just melt everything together in a sauce pan over medium heat and then serve it over whatever noodles you like.

Comment

I usually just melt the cheese in the hot milk with some butter and I pour it over the pasta. Easy for me!!
        ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

I do the same with the hot milk. I'll warm the milk in the microwave for 3 to 5 minutes once the pasta is almost done cooking. I put the butter in the cooked pasta, add the hot milk and spread shredded cheese over the pasta. Then I will stir it in until the cheese starts to melt. I let it sit for a few minutes to melt the cheese. If the cheese isn't melting I will microwave it a little.

Comment

One day I didn't have any so a friend in work told me to mix milk and flour and then add cheese (grated). I didn't have a recipe as I came home from work that day and made it staight away. But I just mixed it all together and it turned out almost exactly like the cheese sauce I buy in a box. I can't remember if I used butter it was all quite quick. If I can do it anyone can.
            What I usually do is just drain my cooked pasta and put it back on the hob adding grated cheese, it's not a sauce but it's quick and tasty. Especially if you add chopped chives, I guess a sauce has more of a taste though.
            Will have to make a note of these recipes for the future

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

Working...
            X