Wild rice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild rice

Is it just me or has wild rice gone out of trend? I am finding it incredibly hard to find in the stores. I can get Jasmine, Basmati, brown and a plethora of others, but can't seem to find old fashioned wild rice, which used to be my favorite. Has anyone else noticed this?

Here in Italy it's quite easy to find it...
    I love quite all type of rice, I would eat rice every day :D
    red camargue rice with asparagus and salmon, or with olives artichockes and sun-dried tomatoes
    also love the venere black with king prawns and diced zucchini and tomatoes
    or long thai with chicken carrots and almonds...

Comment

I haven't but it is in odd locations, and sometimes now you can get larger boxes of the wild rice. in Kroger and Walmart they have a blend of rice that I like to use in soups and such called (Rice Select Ryoal Blend rice blend) it has Texmati, White, Brown, Wild and Red rices. Comes in a clear plastic jar.
      Mary

I'm not a chef, and I don't play on one television

Comment

I don't think Wild Rice as as popular as the other types of rice out there. Pity, I always liked the grainy flavor. I will say that I've never really found say, a bag of wild rice. The only ones I know of are the ones you can make out of packets or boxes.

Comment

I can remember seeing wild rice a few years back in all of the grocery stores, but you're right -- now that I think of it, I can't recall having seen it anywhere for quite some time. I wonder if it stopped selling well and the stores stopped carrying it? You might be able to request it; I know our local Kroger will do that.

Comment

• Semigourmet
            Semigourmet commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know where you guys live but here in Atlanta, even walmart carries it.

I think it does have a large part to do with where I live. I live in a country that doesn't have Walmart! But even before I moved here, it seemed tougher to find. I will just have to keep looking. I always liked the mixture of flavors with wild rice, so it seems I have a new mission.

Comment

you can also order on Amazon to get some if you can't find it anywhere. hope this helps ya.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=wild+rice
            Mary

I'm not a chef, and I don't play on one television

Comment

I shop at Wegman's which is known for carrying an enormous variety of things, so I haven't had a problem finding it. Wild rice is great and I'd be unhappy if I couldn't find it. Thank goodness for Amazon, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Semigourmet View Post
                you can also order on Amazon to get some if you can't find it anywhere. hope this helps ya.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ords=wild+rice
                I think I might have to do that, thanks! And if I can get it online, that's exactly what I am looking for. The markets just don't seem to have it here, but at least there is a solution. I knew you guys would know!

Comment

• Semigourmet
                  Semigourmet commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am an Amazon FREAK! I search everything on there. they don't always have the cheapest price but you can pretty much find anything on there.

I think it depends on where you look for it. All stores are different, and I've noticed a trend toward putting unusual items in the organic section. My local grocery moved a number of rices and couscous to the organic section. Doesn't make sense to me, but then, I'm not a grocery manager.

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

Working...
                X