Baked Potato Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked Potato Help

I have been trying to perfect the art of making a baked potato for a few years now. I just can't quite get it right. I have tried making regular baked potatoes as well as stuffed more fancy ones. My biggest problem is having the potatoes come out undercooked or not cooked evenly (part of the potato is still some what hard while the rest is nice and soft). I have tried a few different cooking methods and different uses of aluminum foil, but still the perfect baked potato evades me.

Any advice? Also I try to use potatoes that are close to the same size but still I can't get them to cook evenly..

Hey mods could someone please fix my thread spelling of potato? thanks
    My blog
    http://www.lisaopolis.com/

I've never had an issue with them - I just grab a spud, put a bit of oil on my hands and rub it into the skin, then bung it in a 200 degree oven (C) for about an hour. No foil involved. Test it for done-ness with a fork...and they're pretty perfect every time. If you're getting some undercooked parts, maybe turn your potato half way through cooking?

Comment

Are you doing doing yours in the oven, microwave or both?

Comment

I have only used the oven so far, but I recently read that they can be microwaved for 3-5 minutes to decrease oven baking time. I haven't tried it yet but I will next time I bake them.

I often poke holes all over the potatoes before I bake them. Does everyone do this?

Does anyone cut their potato in half prior to baking? I have also tried this before
        My blog
        http://www.lisaopolis.com/

Comment

When I put mine in the microwave I stab the hell out of it lol
          Hmm weird, I guess I've never made baked potatoes in the oven for the purpose of it just being a baked potato. I have however, made potato skins which are similar.
          I coat the skin in some olive oil and cut in half

Comment

I only poke holes in potatoes if microwaving (which I rarely do, skins don't crisp up properly) - otherwise they explode. I always cook mine whole, unless making wedges, not baked potatoes. My microwave is also a convection oven, so if only doing 1 potato, I'd do it in there to save heating the big oven.

The only time I would ever use foil would be if I were baking potatoes in the ash of a campfire, really (oh how wonderful those are!).

Comment

The microwave, as we all may know, entirely depends on moisture or any other liquid content in food to cook or warm it successfully.

Some things like whole eggs can explode in it though, but potatoes are fine to "bake" in one as long as you poke holes in and all around it with a fork.

But you're right, the skin does not dry up or crisp up. The oven can do it using dry heat, which as why the skin gets a little crisp.

I usually bake then in the regular oven for about 45 minutes to an hour.
              ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Originally posted by Liketobake View Post
                I have been trying to perfect the art of making a baked potato for a few years now. I just can't quite get it right. I have tried making regular baked potatoes as well as stuffed more fancy ones. My biggest problem is having the potatoes come out undercooked or not cooked evenly (part of the potato is still some what hard while the rest is nice and soft). I have tried a few different cooking methods and different uses of aluminum foil, but still the perfect baked potato evades me.

Any advice? Also I try to use potatoes that are close to the same size but still I can't get them to cook evenly..

Hey mods could someone please fix my thread spelling of potato? thanks
                You are trying to hard. Baking a potato is as simple as boiling water.

Scrub the potato's with a vegetable brush. Dry well and wrap in one layer of foil.
                Bake at 400f for 1.25 - 1.50 hours on a middle oven shelf.
                Test by gently squeezing the potato with a pot holder of towel. If it feels soft, its done.
                Cook until they feel soft.

You can partially cook them in the microwave or even cook them without foil as mentioned above.
                Just use the squeeze method to know when they are done.

Let us know how well they come out.

Comment

Try using mature and baking-type potatoes like Russets.

Comment

Russets is my favorite potato!

I use it for just about everything that taters are used for.
                    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

It might be a problem with your oven, my old one cooked everything unevenly, can you bake cakes etc ok?
                      I don't use foil, just scrub them, dry them, and put them in until I remember them

Comment

Mine is also old and is about 25 degrees slow.
                        ~BDH.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
                          Mine is also old and is about 25 degrees slow.
                          Funny you mention this as yesterday I put ribs in the oven, covered with foil, set at 250 and the timer set at 3 hours.
                          3 hours later I check them and they are not cooked. Turns out the oven is 75 degrees off. They were cooking at 175 not 250. So really not cooking.

But I think I have a bad element. I could hear the thermostat cycling. Not sure until I pull it out today and test it.

Comment

WOW!!

Sounds like you gotta get it repaired, or get a new one.
                            ~BDH.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
                              WOW!!

Sounds like you gotta get it repaired, or get a new one.
                              I fixed it yesterday. The element was bad. I checked it with my meter first and when I pulled it out, you could see the burned section.
                              I was a bit surprised it could heat at all since it was an open reading on my meter.

So big man, now is the time to get yours fixed. I can help you.
                              Check the element when you first turn on your oven to see if it gets red. If it gets red its okay and your thermostat or something else is the issue.
                              If it does not get red, turn off the oven let cool and inspect the element real close.
                              Run your fingers around the element to find the burned spot. Remove the element, get the model number from the range and replace it.

I learned a bad element will still heat up some, but will not reach full temp. So its entirely possible you have a bad spot on the element causing the temp to be off. Since its low, maybe we are onto the problem?

Do you have an oven thermometer?

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X