Herring in Wine Sauce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Herring in Wine Sauce

I'd like make some herring in wine sauce, according to the following recipe.

cup white wine
    cup vinegar
    cup sugar or to taste
    2 tablespoons pickling spice
    1 tablespoon white peppercorns
    1 small onion, sliced

The question I have is what type of white wine would be best for this recipe? Since the recipe calls for sugar, I'm thinking I wouldn't want a sweet white. I've seen a couple of recipes that call for a Chardonnay or a Riesling. I'm not knowledgeable on wines, so I'm asking for your help as to what wine would give a nice taste in combination with the sugar and vinegar called for in the recipe.

There are many recipes to be found that are titled pickled herring and use just straight white vinegar and spices. Recipes that use a pickling wine sauce are very hard to find.

Thank you for your consideration to my question.

The vinegar and pickling spice will pretty much obliterate any of the distinct characteristics of any wine you add. Choose a cheap white table wine.
    “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
    – Julia Child

Comment

What you are saying makes sense to me, yet I then have to question why commercial packers (Vita Herring) of this product would even use wine as an ingredient, if the two aforementioned ingredients neutralize the effects of the wine?
      Not to confuse the issue any further, but is it possible that these packers might be using a white wine vinegar and referring to it as vinegar plus wine as though they were two separate ingredients?

Comment

No, they are using wine and vinegar. I didn't say the wine doesn't affect the flavor I said the type of wine doesn't matter very much because of the ingredients being used.
        – Julia Child

Comment

I think I see where you're coming from now. Thank you.

Comment

You must make wine first, to make vinegar. So, I do see an issue with the recipe, though I cannot pinpoint why?
            Seems vinegar would be all you need?

Comment

Vinegar will not give you the wine flavour. White wine mixed with vinegar doesn't taste like white wine vinegar.
              – Julia Child

Comment

It actually depends on your individual taste and what if anything you are having with the wine. You can get some fairly good advice simply at a liquor store if you tell the clerk what you like. e.g. sweet, dry, fruity, nutty etc. The best way to determine such is to locate a local winery. Most cities have one although some are lesser known if known at all. Check your local yellow pages for 'wineries' to find one closest to you or look them up online. Wineries often offer free tastings. It's a sales pitch so to speak. Most people who attend tastings will purchase a bottle of their favorite after the tasting is finished but you don't have to. Once while on vacation we visited several wineries in one day. What a buzz. All for free. Below I've furnished a website where you may locate wineries by state. That should be a great place to start. Cheers!

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X