Feast of the Seven Fishes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feast of the Seven Fishes

Does anyone here celebrate the Feast of the Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve? It's an old Italian tradition that my great-grandparents kept alive in our family after they came here from Italy. My step-mother hasn't been keeping up with it in recent years, so this year I am hosting it at my house so we can bring the tradition back.

This sounds interesting... Do you actually serve seven different kinds of fish? I am not familiar with the tradition, but I like the sounds of it (and my family loves fish). Can you say more about it for us?

Comment

I serve seven different seafood dishes, but I don't really aim for seven types of fish. This year I will be using anchovies, smoked salmon, scallops, shrimp, crab legs, lump crab meat, and lobster. The tradition is quite varied based on where your family is from in Italy and I'm sure that my grandmother changed some of the "rules" over the years. Some of the dishes will be served as hors d'oeuvres and then the main course will be steamed king crab legs, lobster salad, and spaghetti with anchovy marinara (not quite a puttanesca, though).

Comment

Sounds like you need a fat wallet to make this. I am guessing you could count the anchovy even if its just used to flavor another dish?

Comment

It doesn't have to be an expensive meal because it can be made with dishes that include tilapia, cod, local fish you catch yourself, etc. I happen to be going all-out this year, but it doesn't have to be that way. Yes, I count the anchovies, but that's mainly because my grandmother's sauce is always the star of the show, so I figure the anchovies earned their place.

Comment

I'm sorry, but what is the Feast of the Seven Fishes? I take it you actually have to cook seven different types of fish? That must take some creativity so you don't get bored with that much fish at one meal.

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X