Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savory Steel Cut Oats

Hi!!

I really like to cook meals using steel cut oats instead of rice or other grains due to the higher protein and fiber levels of oats.

Below is a recipe I use often and really like, but I also really want to try new recipes and would love your help. How do you use oats in a savory way??

Unstuffed Pepper

Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 25 minutes
    Total Time: 40 minutes

Serves: 4
    Difficulty: Easy

INGREDIENTS

3 Tbsp olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    cup Spanish (yellow) onions, medium dice
    cup green bell peppers, medium dice
    cup red bell peppers, medium dice
    pound raw ground turkey
    1 cup steel cut oats
    cup canned diced tomatoes with juice
    1 Tbsp tomato paste
    2 cups water

Spices (combine spices in small bowl)
    1 tsp basil
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp red pepper flakes
    1 tsp oregano
    Tbsp parsley
    tsp salt

INSTRUCTIONS

In a medium sauce pot, heat the oil on medium heat. Add the garlic, and cook until golden brown. Add the onions, and cook until they are translucent. Add the peppers, and stir until all of the peppers are coated in oil. Add the ground turkey and season using half of the combined spices. Cook the turkey all the way through, until it reaches 165⁰ F.
    Add the oats and the remainder of spices, and stir well. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and water, and stir well. Bring to a boil, and lower heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 25 minutes or until the oats are cooked (the liquid will begin to turn creamy and the oats will go from being crunchy to chewy). Stir every 3 minutes to prevent the oats from sticking.

SERVING SUGGESTION

Sprinkle with shredded Pecorino Romano cheese and freshly chopped parsley.

Welcome aboard KatieGrainful. Looks like a hearty dish. Good for our Winter storms.
    “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
    – Julia Child

Comment

And hopefully, winter will be on its way out by the end of the month!

It has definitely worn out its welcome here, with all that bloody snow!! And it won't soon be forgotten either, though everyone would like to!!
      The snow HAS melted down somewhat, and as soon as it is gone, the better!!!
      ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

No melting here. We got another 20 inches Sunday and Monday with 14 inches forecast for tomorrow.
        13 feet and counting since the end of January
        – Julia Child

Comment

Heard earlier that there is more snow coming here on Friday! Plus bitterly cod weather tonight through Thursday!
          I'm o sick of this that I don't know what to do!! Now the bloody wind is kicking up also!!
          ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Are you from the North East BDH?
            – Julia Child

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X