Turkey Roasting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turkey Roasting

Please post your secrets to roasting the perfect turkey here.

(I have never roasted a turkey before I need to learn).

Thanks

My blog
    http://www.lisaopolis.com/

There are many good recipes on the net. There are also fans of low and slow (250 degrees) and "regular" 350 degrees. Some like Turkey breast only, some whole turkeys. Pick a recipe and follow it to the letter. ( DO NOT USE POP UP TURKEYS) The next year you can start a family tradiiton by modifying it to make it "yours".

Above all, I LOVE brining. It makes the turkey moist and almost fool proof:

http://bbq.about.com/cs/turkey/a/aa110103a.htm
    Old people shouldn't eat health foods.
    They need all the preservatives they can get.
    -Robert Orben

Comment

I spent some time trying to decide whether to roast a turkey this year. They are aways so fatty! My husband had an angioplasty earlier this year, so we have been very conscientiously trying to cut down on our fat consumption. In the end, I read on the internet that roasted turkey really isn't that high in fat, so I decided to make one. I cut off all the fat on the back, which was quite a lot. Then I basted it with olive oil. It turned out to be one of the best turkeys I have ever made!

Comment

A little off subject but momof2 the breast is great for dinner after roasting the whole turkey, the thighs where the fat builds up is great for soups snd stews, as you can clean the fats off the top of the liquid before serving. That is how we keep the fats down.

As for Roasting a turkey keep a close eye on the temperature of the breast meat, it can dry out very quickly. I take mine out of the oven when it is at about 170 to 175 cover it with foil and let it rest. At this point it will continue to cook and bring the meat temp up another 5 degrees finishing the cooking without over drying.
        Mary

I'm not a chef, and I don't play on one television

Comment

antoher tip to keep the breast meat moist just in case. put you fingers up between the skin and the meat on the breasts (while raw) and shove small bits of butter under the skin close to top and outsides. and the butter will melt and moisten the meat as it cooks.
          Mary

I'm not a chef, and I don't play on one television

Comment

lot to learn today and thanks to you guys for trading secrets and info on turkeys... definitely i would try some of the techniques coz it's just in time for the holidays...
            What's cooking in the kitchen?

Comment

My husband and I have been deep frying (yep) our turkeys for years with awesome results every single time!!!!
              The turkey is completely submerged in 350-365 degree peanut oil and left in there for about 45 minutes (for a 12 pounder). The turkey comes out greaseless, with all of it's natural juices sealed inside and an all over uniform, crispy golden outside!!
              If you're interested in this just google 'deep frying turkey'. There's a lot of info out there! Enjoy!

Comment

Roast whole turkey breast side down on rack for the first half of roasting time. Then, turn it back over, breast side up for the last half of cooking time. Moist breast meat every time.
                Also season the whole turkey very well inside and out a day or so BEFORE roasting. Keep in the fridge uncovered. This allows the skin to dry a bit and lends to a much crispier skin.
                I sprinkle heavily a rub I have posted in another section of this forum. I know I have used enough, when I think I may have used to much. I know its perfect then.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your secrets to roasting turkey...

Comment

A couple of things no one mentioned. If you season the skin with your favorite herbs or just garlic, salt and pepper and onion powder, the skin will have a great flavor. This seasoning will not go into the flesh unless you put it under the skin. I roast slow like others do. If your looking to make a sauce make a bed of onion, carrot and celery with some fresh herbs of your choice. When you see the beast has a golden color turn the turkey over using a rack if possible this allowing the juices to flow back into the breast. Gravity!

Comment

Nice! Thanks to those who share their secrets to roast a turkey!

Comment

Originally posted by blazn350 View Post
                        A couple of things no one mentioned. If you season the skin with your favorite herbs or just garlic, salt and pepper and onion powder, the skin will have a great flavor. This seasoning will not go into the flesh unless you put it under the skin. I roast slow like others do. If your looking to make a sauce make a bed of onion, carrot and celery with some fresh herbs of your choice. When you see the beast has a golden color turn the turkey over using a rack if possible this allowing the juices to flow back into the breast. Gravity!
                        There are two schools of thinking here. Brining reduces or eliminates the need for seasoning under the skin. I also by seasoning well in advance (1-2 days) before roasting allows the seasonings to permeate the bird just fine.

I roast with breast side down first (see my post above). Then turn over breast side up to finish.
                        How do you get crispy skin if you roast it breast side down at the end?

I always use a rack. Always. A "V" rack for turkey.

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X