• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cream Biscuits

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Hot Topics This Month

Hot Topics This Month Module
Collapse

• WendyR
    Are Keurigs all they are hyped to be?
    WendyR
    I have had a couple people tell me that their Keurig coffee is the best tasting coffee that they've had at home. I haven't tried it yet. I don't want...
    3 weeks ago
  • WendyR
    Do you tell them the food is awful?
    WendyR
    If you are eating at someone's home and you are served something that is particularly horrible, do you tell them, or suffer through it? I've done both...
    3 days ago
  • Semigourmet
    What's on your menu this week.
    Semigourmet
    What are Y'all cookin this week?

Tonight I am going to make a Paprika Chicken with Brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes.
    then later...
    2 weeks ago
  • breny
    Has anyone given up soda?
    breny
    We try to be healthy but I have never kicked the soda habit. I cut down to just one a day, maybe two if it was the weekend and I was having an adult drink....
    4 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Caramelizing onions
    GrillKing
    Okay, so maybe this is a standard "dude" question, but what are caramelized onions and how do they get that way? I have seen them used in some...
    3 weeks ago
  • Semigourmet
    6 Hour Pork Butt
    Semigourmet
    Servings 10

Ingredients

1 pork butt 5 to 8 pounds, bone in or boneless, fat cap trimmed to 1/8 inch...
    3 weeks ago
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cream Biscuits

Cream Biscuits
    From Bakingbetter.com

2 cups all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons sugar
    1 cups heavy cream (or whipping cream)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a
    medium sized mixing bowl. Using a whisk, combine
    thoroughly. Add cream and mix just to combine.
    On a lightly floured surface, turn out the dough, and
    knead 6-8 times to bring the dough together (do not
    over knead, it will toughen the biscuits). Pat the
    dough to about inch thickness, either with your
    hand, or a rolling pin. Cut pushing straight down
    without twisting, gathering the scraps of dough and
    patting them again for more cutting. Transfer the cut
    dough to a lightly greased baking pan, brush the tops
    with melted butter (optional) and bake for 15-20
    minutes until golden brown all over. Remove to
    cooling rack.

For an easier version mix 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream with 2 cups of self rising flour (baking powder and salt already in the flour), and 2 teaspoons sugar. Proceed as directed.
    Last edited by Whoopie Pie; 01-17-2012, 06:49 PM.
    Check out my baking blog! bakingbetter.com

Thank you.

Does omitting the shortening/butter reduce the calories? I have never made a biscuit without shortening/butter.
    You should post that beautiful biscuit picture with the recipe. YUMMY I wanted to grab one and butter it! LOL

Comment

Actually, shorthing or butter, whichever one that you choose to use, makes for a more tender flakey biscuit. Without some form of fat, you can't get a tender flakey biscuit.

It'll always be tough, hard and hard to eat. Same thing goes for puff pastry, pie crust, patee & meat loaf. These products need some form of fat in order for them to be palatable and tender.

Whoopie Pie used heavy cream for the liquid and I think for the fat as well - something that I've never used in making biscuits before. Guess it came out better, hence the name, cream biscuits.

I've always used buttermilk, which also makes good biscuits.
      Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 01-17-2012, 07:38 PM.
      ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Comment

Yes the cream adds the needed fat. They are very soft and tender, to be honest it would be hard to tell the difference between these and a regular biscuit. These are just really really easy to make.

I don't think that they are much lower in fat, if at all. I posted this on my blog as an easy way for a novice to make successful biscuits. I bet that they would make wonderful scones with some mix ins.

Comment

Thought so.

Other than the shape of the two, I don't see much difference in taste between scones & biscuits.

And BTW, your biscuits look good, Whoopie!!
          ~BDH.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerlilly View Post

You should post that beautiful biscuit picture with the recipe. YUMMY I wanted to grab one and butter it! LOL
            Thanks, why didn't I think of that?

Comment

The lighting that he took the pic of the biscuits in, makes them look deliciously yellow and buttery. Actually, butter IS the end result of heavy or whipping cream when you beat it enough.

Yeah Whoopie, I agree with you on that one!!

Biscuits just can't be made without some form of fat. It just can't happen! You might just a well plan to eat tough hard biscuits, to which you wouldn't want at all!! I'm going to try your recipe soon, and see if it works for me. It should though.
              Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 01-18-2012, 09:44 AM.
              ~BDH.

Comment

Working...
              X