• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

olive bread

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Hot Topics This Month

Hot Topics This Month Module
Collapse

• WendyR
    Are Keurigs all they are hyped to be?
    WendyR
    I have had a couple people tell me that their Keurig coffee is the best tasting coffee that they've had at home. I haven't tried it yet. I don't want...
    3 weeks ago
  • WendyR
    Do you tell them the food is awful?
    WendyR
    If you are eating at someone's home and you are served something that is particularly horrible, do you tell them, or suffer through it? I've done both...
    3 days ago
  • Semigourmet
    What's on your menu this week.
    Semigourmet
    What are Y'all cookin this week?

Tonight I am going to make a Paprika Chicken with Brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes.
    then later...
    2 weeks ago
  • breny
    Has anyone given up soda?
    breny
    We try to be healthy but I have never kicked the soda habit. I cut down to just one a day, maybe two if it was the weekend and I was having an adult drink....
    3 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Caramelizing onions
    GrillKing
    Okay, so maybe this is a standard "dude" question, but what are caramelized onions and how do they get that way? I have seen them used in some...
    3 weeks ago
  • Semigourmet
    6 Hour Pork Butt
    Semigourmet
    Servings 10

Ingredients

1 pork butt 5 to 8 pounds, bone in or boneless, fat cap trimmed to 1/8 inch...
    3 weeks ago
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• olive bread

Has anyone got a good receipe for olive bread?? I tried making some from a cookbook but it turned out badly.

Thanks

Sam

Yes, I did some olive bread last week.
    I think there are several directions from which this can be approached. In my case I used a sourdough base, so it took 2-1/2 days before I actually baked it (slow rise in the 'fridge over night a couple times). The olives were kalamattas. I worked them in during one of the last kneadings and used rustic flavors from Herbs de Providence. I formed it into a a long french style loaf and razor scored and floured the top.

It was a bit of an experiment, but I got complements from a couple Russian emigrants who said the bread was "very good", whatever that means.

One problem that I encountered after adding the olives, the dough seemed to get very sticky and wet, no doubt from the added moisture from the olives even though I tried to drain them for 15 minutes before incorporating. Remedy was to add more flour to the dough for that smooth, thick but non-sticky feel.

The loaf turned out a tad heavy, but not much more than I expected. Obviously much more than white bread, but a little more than rye bread. It was very flavorful and seemed at it's best when toasted with a tad of margarine. It was awesome toasted and cubed for croutons in my home made soup.

Comment

Originally posted by Tunaoue View Post
      I think there are several directions from which this can be approached. In my case I used a sourdough base, so it took 2-1/2 days before I actually baked it (slow rise in the 'fridge over night a couple times). The olives were kalamattas. I worked them in during one of the last kneadings and used rustic flavors from Herbs de Providence. I formed it into a a long french style loaf and razor scored and floured the top.

It was a bit of an experiment, but I got complements from a couple Russian emigrants who said the bread was "very good", whatever that means.

One problem that I encountered after adding the olives, the dough seemed to get very sticky and wet, no doubt from the added moisture from the olives even though I tried to drain them for 15 minutes before incorporating. Remedy was to add more flour to the dough for that smooth, thick but non-sticky feel.

The loaf turned out a tad heavy, but not much more than I expected. Obviously much more than white bread, but a little more than rye bread. It was very flavorful and seemed at it's best when toasted with a tad of margarine. It was awesome toasted and cubed for croutons in my home made soup.
      Sounds wonderful. Can you please post the recipe and directions.

Comment

Have you tried tossing the olives in flour before adding them to the dough. That's a baker's trick that works with chocolate/fruit/nuts to keep them from sinking to the bottom of a batter.

If you tossed them in flour, then added them right near the end, would the flour absorb enough of the oil/liquid to keep the dough nice?

Caveat: I don't bake bread - I'm just thinking.
        OMG! I decided to blog!

Comment

Hi, Tunaoue!

Are you able to post without any problems now? Looks like you are. Let me know, please.

Thanx.
          ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSage View Post
            Have you tried tossing the olives in flour before adding them to the dough. That's a baker's trick that works with chocolate/fruit/nuts to keep them from sinking to the bottom of a batter.

If you tossed them in flour, then added them right near the end, would the flour absorb enough of the oil/liquid to keep the dough nice?

Caveat: I don't bake bread - I'm just thinking.
            Hey, that's a neat tip.
            I know about tossing fruits like blueberries before incorporating into pound cake for blueberry bread. I actually didn't think about the olives, guess I should have known better, but no worries - it turned out okay. I guess my method may have been a little more risky/labor-some.

Comment

Here's a picture of the "sour dough Olive bread".
              I'm a bit of a bone head for waiting so long showing the photo --
              I took it with my cel phone and just recently downloaded.

Again, it was a bit of an effort because I didn't use any commercial yeast, just my self-made sour dough starter.
              It was a little heavy and very flavorful.
              In hind-sight, I should have scored more diagonally, but the effect is still there.

I'll get my notes and post the recipe later!

Comment

Here's a picture of the "sour dough Olive bread".
                I'm a bit of a bone head for waiting so long showing the photo --
                I took it with my cel phone and just recently downloaded.

Again, it was a bit of an effort because I didn't use any commercial yeast, just my self-made sour dough starter.
                It was a little heavy and very flavorful.
                In hind-sight, I should have scored more diagonally, but the effect is still there.

I'll get my notes and post the recipe later!
                Looks beautiful. Do you have a pic of a cut slice? YUMMY. I can't wait for the recipe. Please include the homemade sour dough starter instructions also.

Comment

Looks good, Tunaoue!!
                  ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Comment

It looks so delicious! I want to have a taste

Comment

Have you posted the recipe yet Tunaoue? Did I miss it?

Comment

Working...
                      X