• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Croissants

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Welcome to vBulletin!

Welcome to vBulletin! Module
Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

To edit or remove this module, click "edit site", then "edit page".

Latest Topics

Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• KittyWilliam
    With regard to the absence
    KittyWilliam
    In what could be seen as a small consolation for All Blacks fans and certainly another embarrassment for organisers the World Cup host England and...
    1 day ago
  • whisperkay
    Jack Pot
    whisperkay
    Hey guys. Since i'v got this recipe book, all my worries are gone. there is hardly any food recipe you will not find on this book.
    http://02f9d...
    1 day ago
  • KelseyAnie
    star centre Aron Baynes
    KelseyAnie
    With a ticket to the round of 16 already booked, coach Andrej Lemanis made a pre-match decision to rest his two best performing players of the tournament,...
    2 days ago
  • Tyler
    Do you want CookingForums to revert to its old self?
    Tyler
    Do you want CookingForums to revert to its old self? It is no secret that a lot of you are unhappy with the "new" CookingForums. There is a possibility that I can have the website reverted back t...
    Yes please!
    100.00%
    No thanks.
    0.00%
    I'm not sure.
    0.00%
    6 days ago
  • Tyler
    Forum Software Upgraded
    Tyler
    Yesterday, I upgraded the forum's software to a release that just came out. It was supposed to have addressed a number of bugs and issues, but not many of them were...
    6 days ago

Advertisement

Advertisement Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Croissants

Ingredients;

2 tablespoons sugar.

1-1/2 teaspoons salt.

2 packages active dry yeast.

3 cups all-purpose flour.

1-1/4 cups milk.

1 cup butter.

1 egg, beaten.

1 tablespoon water.

Directions;

In larger mixer bowl, combine sugar, salt, yeast and 1 cup flour. In 1-qt saucepot over low heat, heat milk until very warm-about 120 to 130 degrees. Using dough hook and with mixer at low speed, beat liquid into dry ingredients until just blended. At medium speed, beat for 2 minutes, while occasionally scraping bowl. Beat in 1/2 cup flour to make thick batter. Beat for 2 minutes more. Stir in about 1 cup flour to make a soft dough. At low speed, knead dough for about 6 to 8 minutes.

Place dough into greased bowl, turning to grease top of dough. Cover, let rise in warm draft-free place, about 80 to 85 degrees until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down and turn onto lightly floured surface. Cover with a bowl and let rest for 30 minutes.

Roll soft butter between 2 sheets of waxed paper to 10" by 7" rectangle. Turn over for even rolling. Lift top sheet often, to remove wrinklee. Chill butter with waxed paper.

On floured surface, roll dough to 18" by9" rectangle. Remove 1 sheet of paper from butter. Invert butter onto 2/3 of dough, leaving 1" margin on 3 sides.

Remove other sheet from butter. Fold unbuttered dough over butter. Fold buttered dough over center to make a 9" by6" rectangle.

Press edges to seal. Carefully roll layed dough to 18" by 9" rectangle. Dop not press edges to hard or butter might ooze out!

Fold in thirds, as you would do a business letter, to make a 9" by 6" rectangle. Sprinkle with flour, wrap and chill for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Roll, fold and chill twice more. Dough can be left in fridge overnight after final fold.

Cut dough in half. Roll one piece to 21" by 10" rectangle. (Chill other piece while doing this one) Cut triangles 7" wide at base, join ends for 6th triangle.

From 7" base, roll up triangles. Place pointed tip down onto ungreased cookie sheet, aqbout 2 inches apart.

Bend ends around toward pointed tip to form crescent shape.b Repeat with the remaining dough.

Cover croissants loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until doubled - about 1 hour. In hot weather, set dough in fridge from time to time to help prevent butter from oozing out. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In cup with pastry brush and 1 cup water, beat egg. Brush over croissants. Bake in hot oven for 15 minutes, or until puffed up and brown. Immediately remove croissants to cool on wire rac k for 10 minutes. Enjoy!!

Taken from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cook Book.
    Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 07-19-2012, 08:03 PM.

Have you tried this recipe BDH? If so how did it work out?

I've always made them by repeating the folding stage 3 times with short rests in between each half turn (about 10-15 minutes)

Comment

Originally posted by natt12321 View Post
      Have you tried this recipe BDH? If so how did it work out?

I've always made them by repeating the folding stage 3 times with short rests in between each half turn (about 10-15 minutes)

I haven't tried it yet, but from what it looks like, there IS quite a lot of folding and chilling of the dough and butter.

I'm too afraid to, actually.

Which is why I'm considering buying the frozen ones already prepped.

Comment

Have you ever tried making your own puff? It's very similar, only with yeast.

They aren't really difficult to make, but not the simplest either, but after you've worked out the method you'll wonder what you were ever frightened of!!

Comment

I tried it once, and it didn't rise like it should've risen.

And BTW, puff pastry is also sold premade and frozen in its raw state.

Comment

I've made croissants three times so far. First time was a great success, second time the dough was a success, but after I rolled them out I put half of them in my oven using the proofing setting. Big mistake, melted the butter. I cooked them anyway and ended up with what tasted like shortbread, I ate them. The other half came out fine.

This last time I made them they were wonderful. I have pictures, but can't post until I reach 100 posts. They are a lot of work, but it's like a labor of love. I tried this recipe for the first batch:

and this one for 2 and 3:

I think I will give your recipe a try next BDH. Thanks for sharing. I'll be sure to take pictures of the adventure.

On Edit:

Looks like I can't post the links either. One is on the blog Annie's Eats, and the other is on the blog Tracey's Culinary Adventures in case anyone is interested.

Guess I should just wait until I can make posts that make sense. I'll get there.

Comment

oh Big Daddy this recipe sounds just wonderful and bread is my weakness. I thank you very much for showing this recipe to me and I will try it soon. This will be good served warm and with butter. I sometimes put some honey on my bread in the mornings.

Comment

I always make croissants on Christmas morning. Family tradition. Bucks fizz and croissants with jam. No idea why.

Comment

Working...
                X