• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizza dough recipe

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Hot Topics This Month

Hot Topics This Month Module
Collapse

• Semigourmet
    What's on your menu this week.
    Semigourmet
    What are Y'all cookin this week?

Tonight I am going to make a Paprika Chicken with Brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes.
    then later...
    1 week ago
  • Semigourmet
    6 Hour Pork Butt
    Semigourmet
    Servings 10

Ingredients

1 pork butt 5 to 8 pounds, bone in or boneless, fat cap trimmed to 1/8 inch...
    1 week ago
  • breny
    Has anyone given up soda?
    breny
    We try to be healthy but I have never kicked the soda habit. I cut down to just one a day, maybe two if it was the weekend and I was having an adult drink....
    2 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Caramelizing onions
    GrillKing
    Okay, so maybe this is a standard "dude" question, but what are caramelized onions and how do they get that way? I have seen them used in some...
    2 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Can Openers
    GrillKing
    Our old electric can opener has finally died. We have had that thing for about 10 years now and want to get another one. My wife threw it out (because...
    1 week ago
  • Aldiena
    Crockpot Spaghetti
    Aldiena
    Has anyone done this before? Depending on the type of pasta I get (and the brand) I can let it cook on low for about five hours and sometimes I can manage...
    2 weeks ago
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza dough recipe

Hi all,

Whats your best recipe for Pizza dough - and also what flour do you use?

Ive been experimenting for ages with different doughs and ideas but can never get that Domino type base.

If you are trying to achieve a " Dominos " type base then I can't help you. They are mass produced rubbish and bare no resemblance to a traditional home made pizza base.

If you would like to experience the perfect base then try this recipe that I often use.

Pizza dough

Once you've mastered this easy dough, you're well on your way to pizza perfection.

Preparation Time
    15 minutes

Makes
    3 pizza bases

Ingredients
    375ml (1 1/2 cups) warm water
    2 tsp (7g/1 sachet) dried yeast
    Pinch of caster sugar
    600g (4 cups) 00 flour or bread flour
    1 tsp salt
    60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil, plus extra for brushing

Method
    Combine the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes or until foamy. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and oil. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until the mixture is combined. Use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl.
    Brush a bowl lightly with oil. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in the prepared bowl and turn to coat in oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draught-free place to rise for 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
    Notes
    You can prepare this recipe up to 1 hour before serving.

Prep: 15 mins (+ 5 mins standing & 30 mins rising time)

If you like you can mix it together in a bread maker.
    Last edited by Compbrake; 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Compbrake View Post
      If you are trying to achieve a " Dominos " type base then I can't help you. They are mass produced rubbish and bare no resemblance to a traditional home made pizza base.

If you would like to experience the perfect base then try this recipe that I often use.

Pizza dough

Once you've mastered this easy dough, you're well on your way to pizza perfection.

Preparation Time
      15 minutes

Makes
      3 pizza bases

Ingredients
      375ml (1 1/2 cups) warm water
      2 tsp (7g/1 sachet) dried yeast
      Pinch of caster sugar
      600g (4 cups) 00 flour or bread flour
      1 tsp salt
      60ml (1/4 cup) olive oil, plus extra for brushing

Method
      Combine the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes or until foamy. Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and oil. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix until the mixture is combined. Use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl.
      Brush a bowl lightly with oil. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in the prepared bowl and turn to coat in oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draught-free place to rise for 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
      Notes
      You can prepare this recipe up to 1 hour before serving.

Prep: 15 mins (+ 5 mins standing & 30 mins rising time)

If you like you can mix it together in a bread maker.
      Ha ha! Maybe i should correct myself!!

Yes - Dominos pizza bases are mass produced, but for some reason when i order one i very much enjoy the dough base. Maybe its because i haven't had to make a pizza and enjoy the day off with some junk food occasionally.

Your recipe is pretty much excatly the same as mine - hence why i dont need to order Dominos as our pizza bases taste amazing!

Only thing i cant get it 00 flour - ive tried all major supermarkets in the UK and never seem to find it. I normally have to use bread flour as i find plain flour always makes pizza bases very crispy!

Comment

For the 00 flour - you can order it from here: http://www.melburyandappleton.co.uk/...lour-290-p.asp which is a UK site. Hope that helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkginger View Post
          For the 00 flour - you can order it from here: http://www.melburyandappleton.co.uk/...lour-290-p.asp which is a UK site. Hope that helps!
          Many thanks indeed!!

Can anyone tell me how this flour effects the pizza dough? I mean - does it make it softer, more flavour etc.

I do like a more soft dough when i make a pizza as i cant stand it when the edges go solid.

Many thanks!

Comment

Dominos type of fast food restaurants include any kind of chemical to make their pizzas. So it's normal if you cant make something exactly like that at home.

I prefer home-made, though.

Comment

I've been using the following method for preparing pizza dough. Sometimes it becomes as good as Domino's one but sometimes not. May be I'm not able to do it perfectly every time. Just try out the following method, hope it would work for you.

Ingredients-3/4 cup warm water, 1 envelope active dry yeast, 2 cups of bread flour, 1 teaspoon sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 3 tablespoons olive oil.

Preparation-
              Pour 3/4 cup warm water into small bowl, stir in yeast. Let stand until yeast dissolves, about 5 minutes.
              Brush large bowl lightly with olive oil. Mix 2 cups flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add yeast mixture and 3 tablespoons oil, process until dough forms a sticky ball. Transfer to lightly floured surface. Knead dough until smooth, adding more flour by tablespoonfuls if dough is very sticky, about 1 minute. Transfer to prepared bowl, turn dough in bowl to coat with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let dough rise in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, about 1 hour. Punch down dough. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

The dough prepared this way can be smoother and if prepared cautiously can give you the taste as good as Domino's.

Comment

if you go to the site you will surely find what you're looking for, but be prepared to make your dough using a scale. I suggest you start out in the newbie category and move on from there. As you gain experience making your dough.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php

Comment

I've to admit - I'm a cheat when it comes to "home-made" pizzas - I use instant dough

Comment

Working...
                  X