• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breads for spaghetti

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Hot Topics This Month

Hot Topics This Month Module
Collapse

• Aldiena
    An excellent pot roast
    Aldiena
    What makes an excellent pot roast? I tend to get a little bigger one that I think I will need because no matter how I make it, it goes fast. Are there...
    4 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Do you follow the wine rule?
    GrillKing
    I hate to sound like a jerk, but I don't often follow the "white wine with white meats and red with red" wine rule. Do people still do that?...
    3 weeks ago
  • TeenyWeeny
    Inexpensive main dish ideas??
    TeenyWeeny
    I am hosting a party this weekend for upwards of 30 people (including kids) and I need some ideas for inexpensive main dishes. We are on a budget and...
    2 weeks ago
  • TeenyWeeny
    Pancakes
    TeenyWeeny
    How do you guys make your pancakes? Do you go with a store-bought mix or do you make them from scratch? I've been using different store-bought mixes for...
    2 weeks ago
  • breny
    Canned foods and dating
    breny
    Don't forget to date your cans ladies and gentleman. I had a friend ship me a few of her canned goods and nothing was dated so we ended up losing a few...
    4 weeks ago
  • ChocolateChip
    Spanish Tortilla
    ChocolateChip
    Has anyone here ever had a proper Spanish Tortilla? In Spain a "tortilla" is actually more like what North Americans would think of as a quiche....
    2 weeks ago
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breads for spaghetti

Any recommendations for breads to have with spaghetti? I usually just pick up Italian bread from the giant, looking for something better.

I have never given this much thought because the spaghetti is a carb and adding another carb to the meal would be much the same as serving 2 starches ie Potatoes and Rice together which is a culinary no no.. ? If you must, then I would go for garlic bread made from a baguette with a green salad.

Comment

Try semolina bread.
      Last edited by SilverSage; 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM.
      OMG! I decided to blog!

Comment

Gotta have bread with spaghetti, Hanzo. Italians put a large spoon in their left hand, Americans a piece of bread, lol.

Madman, I like my bread simple. I don't get into all those seeds or different varieties, so to make it "different" I go with different toppings. And also I cut it differently. I buy French bread because it's skinnier than Italian loaves, so I can cut 1/2" slices on the bias, making small crostini, or I can cut a 5-6" hunk of the end and slice that it half. And for toppings, sometimes I start with butter, sometimes EVOO, then; fresh minced garlic, grated parm reg, minced sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper flakes, black ground pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, mozarella... in any combination you can think of. Sometimes I pick one ingredient, sometimes six. Oh, and sometimes I grill it and sometimes I broil it in the toaster oven, sometimes I make it cripsy, sometimes soft... lol. I eat a lot of garlic bread.
        Garlic bread. It's not just for spaghetti. ;^)
        When life hands you lemons, make piccata!

Comment

Gotta have bread with spaghetti, Hanzo. Italians put a large spoon in their left hand, Americans a piece of bread, lol.
          I must admit I occasionally do have garlic bread with Spaghetti LOL

Comment

Have ever had Rustic Italian Bread? Whole Foods sells it, but here's a recipe you might try:

link

Comment

Originally posted by HattoriHanzo View Post
              .... adding another carb to the meal would be much the same as serving 2 starches ie Potatoes and Rice together which is a culinary no no.. ?
              Well, I thought so, too, until I "met" Chowhound and tigerlilly, and maybe occasionally homecook, none of whom follow any such conventions LOL!

Lee

Comment

Oh come on Lee. LOL You're Polish aren't you? Bread is the other food group!
                Some people can have all the lights on and still be in the dark.

Comment

Well you know what they say.......Bread is the staff of life.

Comment

Even if the spaghetti noodles are already carbohydrates, we still love to partner it with bread. Kids love spaghetti meatballs and they love it more with garlic bread. You can try it next time you make spaghetti and I hope you will love it. Giant fortune cookies
                    Last edited by dmiranda91; 03-20-2010, 08:25 AM.

Comment

I very seldom eat bread with any pasta.
                      ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Comment

I always thought spaghetti and garlic bread went hand in hand. It is a given.

Like Chowhand, I like smaller pieces, like from a baguette, which I slice myself. Then I toast it and rub it with a clove of garlic. That smell of rubbed garlic on toast is soooooooo wonderful. It is hard to describe. Then I add a bit of butter, melt it and then sometimes add a teaspoon of shredded Parmesan. That is just so Italian.
                        Fast, easy, delicious, mostly healthy recipes that won't bust your budget. http://www.morethymethandough.com

Comment

I make all my own bread, it always impresses your guests and it's something that is easy to learn and can be baked ahead of time.

Here are some great recipes to go with Spaghetti:

http://www.can-cook.com/site/Garlic_Bread_Recipe.html
                          http://www.can-cook.com/site/Rosemary_Bread_Recipe.html
                          http://www.can-cook.com/site/Italian...ad_Recipe.html

Comment

Do you have a problem posting the recipe ? I know it can be difficult

Comment

Working...
                            X