• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home wine making: Step by step

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Hot Topics This Month

Hot Topics This Month Module
Collapse

• Semigourmet
    What's on your menu this week.
    Semigourmet
    What are Y'all cookin this week?

Tonight I am going to make a Paprika Chicken with Brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes.
    then later...
    1 week ago
  • breny
    Has anyone given up soda?
    breny
    We try to be healthy but I have never kicked the soda habit. I cut down to just one a day, maybe two if it was the weekend and I was having an adult drink....
    3 weeks ago
  • Semigourmet
    6 Hour Pork Butt
    Semigourmet
    Servings 10

Ingredients

1 pork butt 5 to 8 pounds, bone in or boneless, fat cap trimmed to 1/8 inch...
    2 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Caramelizing onions
    GrillKing
    Okay, so maybe this is a standard "dude" question, but what are caramelized onions and how do they get that way? I have seen them used in some...
    2 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Can Openers
    GrillKing
    Our old electric can opener has finally died. We have had that thing for about 10 years now and want to get another one. My wife threw it out (because...
    2 weeks ago
  • Aldiena
    Crockpot Spaghetti
    Aldiena
    Has anyone done this before? Depending on the type of pasta I get (and the brand) I can let it cook on low for about five hours and sometimes I can manage...
    2 weeks ago
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home wine making: Step by step

It is with great pleasure that I am writing this to you. Home Winemaking: Step by Step was great! I always believed winemaking to be difficult. I mean you see these wine snobs on TV talking about wine and they act like it's almost magical the way wine is created. Well, your book showed me just how easy it can be for a regular joe like myself to do it and do it right.

You really know how to take the mystrey out of winemaking. Thanks to your book, I placed 2nd in the county fair with the very batch I ever made. BTW, thanks for answering my questions about winemaking. That alone is worth a lot in my book!"

-- Tom Hensley

Tom, I'm glad you posted here. For all those budding oenologists out there who were going to waste 4 years of their life studying wine making, your book offers a much simpler solution. Well done !

Comment

sulfites

one of the danger of making wine at home is using too many sulfites.
      That is not something easy to control ad newbee might find that the more sulfites you add the lesser problems there are.
      This was typical in Tuscany when you could buy the "vino del contadino" peasant wine, where it had load of sulfites.
      What are you saying about sulfites in your book.

Comment

Yes, guys tell me about the sulfites issues. How to decide a moderate amount of sulfites to be added in the wine? In fact I have heard somewhere that sulfites are added as preservatives in wine making and they not only stops the growth of bacteria and molds but also preserves the natural flavor of wines so I really wanted to know what are the ultimate facts about it.

Comment

A good (and free) site for those interested in making wine is:http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

He has all sorts of recipes for 'country' wines on there - the jalapeno is good! I make lots of wine at home, but nowadays I tend to use a kit because I get more reliable results (important when you're making 23 litres at a time!). I don't add sulphites. The kits comprise concentrated grape juice and yeast - just add water!

I still make the odd gallon of country wine - parsnip, or blackberry seem to be the most consistent. Also try making mead - very simple, just honey, water and yeast, really (though I add raisins for body and tea for tannin). I made nettle beer last summer, for the first time, and that was good too.

It's a really fun hobby, doesn't take up much room, and the results are well worth the effort. So long as you are meticulous about sterilising everything, your wines shouldn't need preservatives added - ours never last that long anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkginger View Post
            A good (and free) site for those interested in making wine is:http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/

I make lots of wine at home, but nowadays I tend to use a kit because I get more reliable results (important when you're making 23 litres at a time!). I don't add sulphites. The kits comprise concentrated grape juice and yeast - just add water!

It's a really fun hobby, doesn't take up much room, and the results are well worth the effort. So long as you are meticulous about sterilising everything, your wines shouldn't need preservatives added - ours never last that long anyway!
            Yes, the Brewing resource above that you have shared with all of us looked pretty cool and i will; try to utilise it as much as possible. Thanks a lot.

Wine Making Kits

Comment

Working...
            X