Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spicy Steak idea

Hi,

I'm very new to cooking (never done steak before) and I had an idea for a dish with my better half where we wanted to cook a steak, then cut it up and toss the pieces with some jalapenos and fresh cilantro. But the more I read about it online, it seems like a bad idea, since I guess the juice can just run out of the steak. Would it just be better to use a rub in the first place? Do I apply the rub before or after cooking it?

I would have no problem with the juice. There shouldn't be too much if you let the meat rest properly before slicing. If you do use a rub it should go on prior to cooking.
    “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
    – Julia Child

Comment

Chef is correct. Allow the steak to rest at 10-15 minutes before slicing.
      My wife likes her steak well done. I like mine rare. So I sear each side and put into a 350 oven for 8 minutes.
      I then remove the steak to a warm plate and lightly cover with foil for 20 minutes.
      I then slice it up (Costco steaks are at minimum 2-3 inches thick) and return hers to the pan for a few more minutes to make it look well done. Its really not, but I'm not saying a word.
      Regardless there will still be juice in the plate. I pour some on the slices. There's not much you can do about the juice unless you let it get cold.

Comment

If you want to cut it up, do so prior to cooking. And as mentioned, apply the rub and, or marinade before cooking (let it marinade), and resting post cooking is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by heathermarie View Post
          If you want to cut it up, do so prior to cooking. And as mentioned, apply the rub and, or marinade before cooking (let it marinade), and resting post cooking is a must.
          I disagree. The steak should be cooked prior to slicing and allowed to rest before slicing up.
          But that is my opinion and nothing more.

Comment

Yes, in most cases it's better to cut after cooking and resting. Meat retains its integrity better and you get better mallard reactions when cooking the whole piece of meat. It really depends on the results you are looking for, and if you're willing to spend the extra time.

Comment

GRILLED FLANK STEAK WITH SPICY GARLIC
              SAUCE

STEAK:

2 1/2 lbs. flank steak, trimmed
              2 tbsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
              2 tbsp. lite soy sauce
              1 tbsp. oriental sesame oil
              1 tbsp. Chinese rice wine
              1 tsp. freshly ground pepper

SAUCE:

1/4 c. lite soy sauce
              3 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
              2 tbsp. water
              2 tsp. sugar
              2 tsp. minced garlic
              1 tsp. oriental sesame oil
              1 tsp. chili paste

For Steak: Makes 1/4" deep lengthwise cuts in steak, spacing 1" apart, then cut crosswise, forming cross hatch design. Place steak in large shallow glass dish. Mix next 5 ingredients in small bowl, pour over steak, rubbing ginger into cuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning steak once.

For Sauce: Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until cold. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)

Prepare barbecue (high heat). Grill steak to desired degree of doneness, about 7 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to platter. Let stand 10 minutes. Thinly slice steak across grain. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead, cover and refrigerate.) Pour sauce over steak. Serve cold or at room temperature. 6 servings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramiro View Post
                GRILLED FLANK STEAK WITH SPICY GARLIC
                SAUCE

STEAK:

2 1/2 lbs. flank steak, trimmed
                2 tbsp. minced peeled fresh ginger
                2 tbsp. lite soy sauce
                1 tbsp. oriental sesame oil
                1 tsp. freshly ground pepper

SAUCE:

1/4 c. lite soy sauce
                3 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
                2 tbsp. water
                2 tsp. sugar
                2 tsp. minced garlic
                1 tsp. oriental sesame oil
                1 tsp. chili paste

For Steak: Makes 1/4" deep lengthwise cuts in steak, spacing 1" apart, then cut crosswise, forming cross hatch design. Place steak in large shallow glass dish. Mix next 5 ingredients in small bowl, pour over steak, rubbing ginger into cuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning steak once.

For Sauce: Mix all ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate until cold. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead.)

Prepare barbecue (high heat). Grill steak to desired degree of doneness, about 7 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to platter. Let stand 10 minutes. Thinly slice steak across grain. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead, cover and refrigerate.) Pour sauce over steak. Serve cold or at room temperature. 6 servings.

I was getting ready to make a steak tonight, this i have read at the wright time!!!

Thanks

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X