Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help cooking beef wellington please.

Hi everyone,
    I have just joined the group and have already found many helpful tips however; I知 still in a panic over my Christmas lunch.
    I知 hoping someone can help me please.
    For the first time I知 attempting to cook beef wellington for ten people.
    I have roughly four kilograms of fillet; even cutting it in half it痴 too long and fat to fit in a large pan for searing. Would I spoil it if I part cooked it in the oven first? And how long does it need in the oven.
    I知 grateful for any advice please.
    Many thanks

Originally posted by georgina View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have just joined the group and have already found many helpful tips however; I知 still in a panic over my Christmas lunch.
    I知 hoping someone can help me please.
    For the first time I知 attempting to cook beef wellington for ten people.
    I have roughly four kilograms of fillet; even cutting it in half it痴 too long and fat to fit in a large pan for searing. Would I spoil it if I part cooked it in the oven first? And how long does it need in the oven.
    I知 grateful for any advice please.
    Many thanks

4 Kilograms is 9 pounds. That's twice the weight of an average whole tender. A typical center cut weighs around 3 pounds. Even stuffed you are under 5 pounds. Makes me wonder what cut of meat you have. Do you have a center cut or a whole tender? Is it skinned? If a whole tender, I'd cut it in half, fold it, and tie it back. It will then cook even.

Having said that, you should sear the meat. I use a two burner CI flattop. Then oven roast to 100 degrees. Then add the stuffing and pastry. Otherwise the pasty burns before the roast is done. (I use Phyllo dough).

You cook till the roast is done. The only way to know is to use a meat thermometer. 120 for rare.

That's the way I do it. I've not had good luck roasting in one go. The roast cooks much slower than the rest.

It would help if you posted the recipe you will use. Also there are others with more experience with large cuts on this site. Someone else may have a better plan. Frankly, if you have only one piece of meat, that's a huge steer.

Comment

Originally posted by georgina View Post
      Hi everyone,
      I have just joined the group and have already found many helpful tips however; I’m still in a panic over my Christmas lunch.
      I’m hoping someone can help me please.
      For the first time I’m attempting to cook beef wellington for ten people.
      I have roughly four kilograms of fillet; even cutting it in half it’s too long and fat to fit in a large pan for searing. Would I spoil it if I part cooked it in the oven first? And how long does it need in the oven.
      I’m grateful for any advice please.
      Many thanks
      How did this work out?

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo View Post

How did this work out?
        Sounds fab x

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

• Gillian
          Our microwave combi stopped working!
          Gillian
          We have had our combi for just a few years - you could use it as a convection oven, grill (broiler in American speak) or microwave cooker or microwave...
          3 weeks ago
        • Gillian
          Rock Buns
          Gillian
          A long time ago a friend and I made some rock buns - also known as rock cakes - for my mum. It was my friend's recipe and although she gave me the recipe,...
          6 days ago
        Working...
        X