Steak Tartare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steak Tartare

Yesterday I made some steak tartare (so we ate it today). This is my favourite breakfast that I can make on my own. So I thought I will ask you how do you do your steak tartare. Here is my recipe:

Buy 300g of beef. I buy it grinded, so I do not have to do it myself.
    I finely chop 5-600g of onions on the top of it. I add salt (CAREFUL with the salt), white and black pepper, mustard, ketchup, worchester sauce. Then I put it in the fridge, to rest for a day or a half at least. Before serving, I will add 2 yolk and toast some bread. Serve with fresh vegetables and butter.
    Dried fruits, oils, nuts and other healthy food online

Ooops... posted in the wrong topic. Sorry. What should I do?

Comment

• ChefBlue
      ChefBlue commented
      Editing a comment
      Moved to correct forum.

• eletom
      eletom commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you

I've heard of this, but I've never done it.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

I have never had this either. The raw meat (especially ground beef ) and raw egg just does not sit well with me.
      You did say you had them grind it for you? Right.
      If i were to try to make it, I would chop my own for sure.

Maybe one day? I love raw oysters, so maybe one day?

Comment

Haha. Yes, they sound a little intimadating, espacially when they band up together, but the taste is priceless.

I had them grind it yes, because at home I do not have the tools for that. But it would be even better if I could do it myself. Since I would be able to clean the meat appropriately (but it is nearly unnecessary since I choose the most beautiful meat in the store, with minimal fat or anything that can ruin the taste), it could enhance the taste a bit.

Raw oysters are great. You just opened my eyes. Raw food is great. (at least I love them)

Comment

Originally posted by eletom View Post
          Haha. Yes, they sound a little intimadating, espacially when they band up together, but the taste is priceless.

I had them grind it yes, because at home I do not have the tools for that. But it would be even better if I could do it myself. Since I would be able to clean the meat appropriately (but it is nearly unnecessary since I choose the most beautiful meat in the store, with minimal fat or anything that can ruin the taste), it could enhance the taste a bit.

Raw oysters are great. You just opened my eyes. Raw food is great. (at least I love them)
          The reason I asked about grinding the meat is because every time I have seen this dish made or seen someone eat this dish, the meat has been chopped with a knife.
          I have never seen this dish made with ground beef. Only chopped by hand. I actually just saw it made the other day.
          The meat is trimmed and cut into tiny squares. Like you would chop any vegetable. Coarse, but chopped not ground.
          How do you "clean" meat. I rarely allow water to touch beef. I just dry it off with paper towels.

Comment

Originally posted by Roll_Bones View Post

The reason I asked about grinding the meat is because every time I have seen this dish made or seen someone eat this dish, the meat has been chopped with a knife.
            I have never seen this dish made with ground beef. Only chopped by hand. I actually just saw it made the other day.
            The meat is trimmed and cut into tiny squares. Like you would chop any vegetable. Coarse, but chopped not ground.
            How do you "clean" meat. I rarely allow water to touch beef. I just dry it off with paper towels.

Yeah, in the restaurants they make that way. And that is the traditional way. But at home sometimes I choose the easier way (like this time). Besides I highly doubt that I could chop the meat to that tiny to make it good. If you have the skills and patience you should absolutly do that way. (meh, I will try to chop next time too )

I cut all the fat and bad-looking chunks from the meat, that is how I meant to clean the meat. (maybe there is a professional word for that action, sry)

Comment

• jimbo
              jimbo commented
              Editing a comment
              I think removing the fat and membranes is called trimming.

I make tatare on occasion. Always chopped, never ground for a variety of reasons. I don't trust ground and uncooked beef, especially the second day. I've always done it fresh and eaten it fresh. The texture of chopped is different. Chopped is best.

Your recipe is similar to mine, except no ketchup, added garlic. My meat of choice is tender tails, silverskin removed.

Chopping meat is not hard if you have a very sharp knife. Impossible if you don't. Generally I chop meat for hamburgers unless I'm making a bunch. Just freeze slightly, slice thin, then chop.

Not a breakfast meat for me. I prefer tatare for an appetizer or a light meal with fresh vegetables, toasted peasant bread, olive oil and garlic rubbed, and a couple of good cheeses.

Steak Tartare or Beef steak tartare has to be one of my favorite dishes. When I was a chef apprentice in Switzerland, we had that dish on our menu. We had to prepare all the ingredients as apprentices to learn knife skills and learn that preparation is half the cooking.
            Here is a breakdown of my version of beef steak tartare for two people.
            Meat: 400 grams of trimmed Beef Eye Fillet. The most tender part of meat in the whole body of the cow or any other animal like; pork, lamb, chicken.
            The Beef Eye Fillet, use the thinner part of the filet and the thicker part including the Eye Fillet head you can cut to eye fillet steaks or Chateaubriand if you have a whole eye fillet.
            If you have a whole eye fillet, it does not need a lot of trimming, The meat for the tartare is chopped by hand only. It's easy, cut the eye fillet meat into thin, long srips, slice the strips very finely and after give the meat a few chops with your knife.
            Place the chopped meat into a bowl, cover with clingwrap and refrigerate it.
            Now, here is a list of items that i put into the tartare. Everything listed needs to be diced super fine. You want the flavors to incorporate with the meat evenly. You don't want the diced items to be bigger than a third of a rice corn. So here we go:
            3 soup spoons (ssp) of Parsley, 1 ssp Dill Cucumbers, 4 ssp Shallots (tiny onions), 1/4 ssp fresh garlic, 1 ssp green olives, fresh chilli (if you like it but not a must), 1 ssp Anchovies fillets, 1 ssp capers.
            You also need 1 ssp Worcester Sauce, 1 ssp of mild mustard, 5 ssp of tomato sauce
            Season with sea salt and black freshly grounded black pepper.
            FINISHING: get the meat out of the refrigerator, remove clingwrap, add the ingredients to the meat including the sauces, mix throughout very well. The tartare should be consumed straight after the preparation, otherwise the meat may discolor and does not look nice to the eye.
            EGG OR NO EGG? The egg yolk is used for steak tartare. The purpose of the egg yolk is for the tartare to make it smooth and spreadable, give the meat mix a nice glaze and combines all flavors together. Now, the egg should be mixed in just before you serve the steak Tartare.
            MEGA IMPORTANT: Mix all your ingredients with the meat only before you serve this dish. Don't pre make it and leave it in the fridge for next day or so!! If you want to chop everything the day before that is okay. Keep all separate including the chopped meat until you are ready to serve or enjoy your steak Tartare.
            WHISKEY OR COGNAC? Yes, some people like a bit of whiskey or cognac in the beef steak Tartare. Quantity be 1 to 2 cl per person.
            ​TOAST and WHIPPED BUTTER goes with it. Whipped butter is table butter beaten in a dough mixer until the butter is white and fluffy.
            I hope that I could shed some light into the steak Tartare. Enjoy my friends.

Comment

• jimbo
              jimbo commented
              Editing a comment
              Your recipe sounds interesting. Never tried olives or cucumbers. I do use parsley when I have or can get it fresh. Anchovies and capers sound good.

To answer Roll Bones, SSP is your standard soup spoon, cl is centiliter.

Originally posted by cookwaresets View Post
            Steak Tartare or Beef steak tartare has to be one of my favorite dishes. When I was a chef apprentice in Switzerland, we had that dish on our menu. We had to prepare all the ingredients as apprentices to learn knife skills and learn that preparation is half the cooking.
            Here is a breakdown of my version of beef steak tartare for two people.
            Meat: 400 grams of trimmed Beef Eye Fillet. The most tender part of meat in the whole body of the cow or any other animal like; pork, lamb, chicken.
            The Beef Eye Fillet, use the thinner part of the filet and the thicker part including the Eye Fillet head you can cut to eye fillet steaks or Chateaubriand if you have a whole eye fillet.
            If you have a whole eye fillet, it does not need a lot of trimming, The meat for the tartare is chopped by hand only. It's easy, cut the eye fillet meat into thin, long srips, slice the strips very finely and after give the meat a few chops with your knife.
            Place the chopped meat into a bowl, cover with clingwrap and refrigerate it.
            Now, here is a list of items that i put into the tartare. Everything listed needs to be diced super fine. You want the flavors to incorporate with the meat evenly. You don't want the diced items to be bigger than a third of a rice corn. So here we go:
            3 soup spoons (ssp) of Parsley, 1 ssp Dill Cucumbers, 4 ssp Shallots (tiny onions), 1/4 ssp fresh garlic, 1 ssp green olives, fresh chilli (if you like it but not a must), 1 ssp Anchovies fillets, 1 ssp capers.
            You also need 1 ssp Worcester Sauce, 1 ssp of mild mustard, 5 ssp of tomato sauce
            Season with sea salt and black freshly grounded black pepper.
            FINISHING: get the meat out of the refrigerator, remove clingwrap, add the ingredients to the meat including the sauces, mix throughout very well. The tartare should be consumed straight after the preparation, otherwise the meat may discolor and does not look nice to the eye.
            EGG OR NO EGG? The egg yolk is used for steak tartare. The purpose of the egg yolk is for the tartare to make it smooth and spreadable, give the meat mix a nice glaze and combines all flavors together. Now, the egg should be mixed in just before you serve the steak Tartare.
            MEGA IMPORTANT: Mix all your ingredients with the meat only before you serve this dish. Don't pre make it and leave it in the fridge for next day or so!! If you want to chop everything the day before that is okay. Keep all separate including the chopped meat until you are ready to serve or enjoy your steak Tartare.
            WHISKEY OR COGNAC? Yes, some people like a bit of whiskey or cognac in the beef steak Tartare. Quantity be 1 to 2 cl per person.
            ​TOAST and WHIPPED BUTTER goes with it. Whipped butter is table butter beaten in a dough mixer until the butter is white and fluffy.
            I hope that I could shed some light into the steak Tartare. Enjoy my friends.
            What is ssp? And what is cl?
            Thanks for the traditional method. I have seen it served with a raw egg yolk cracked over the top just before serving. Seems to make a nice silky sauce.
            I have never had it. But if prepared like yours I would try it!

Comment

SSP=Soup Spoon Probably about the equivalent of a Tablespoon.
              “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
              – Julia Child

Comment

Originally posted by ChefBlue View Post
                SSP=Soup Spoon Probably about the equivalent of a Tablespoon.
                I wonder if they use this measuring method when baking?

Comment

Sorry guys for the confusion. cl stands for centiliters and ssp is a soup or tablespoon. The reason i use a tablespoon for measurement is that we always used a tablespoon to add the ingredients to the meat.
                  The raw egg yolk is cracked over the top of it but then folded into the tartar mix.

Comment

A tablespoon (to answer Roll Bones) is a standard measurement for all types of cooking and baking on this side (the east) of the Atlantic

Comment

15ml for those in metric countries.
                      “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
                      – Julia Child

Comment

I always thought it was "tbls" for tablespoon. And "tsp" for tea spoon. Darkginger.

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                        X