Braised Stew Beef in Beer Gravy.
    1 day ago

I just did THIS one on Sunday;

Braised Stew Beef in Beer Gravy;

Ingredients;

1 to 1-1/2 lbs. stew beef in medium size cubes

2 Tablespoons oil.

1/2 cup each sliced;

Onions, Green pepper, Celery, 4 or 5 cloves garlic (Carrots optional).

2-1/2 cups water.

1 cup of your favorite beer

1/2 teaspoon each;

Salt, Seasoned Salt, Celery Salt, Garlic powder, Onion powder, Sylvia's Seasoning or thyme & Ground Black Pepper.

2 Tablespoons flour.

1/2 cup cold water.

1 teaspoon Gravy Master or Kitchen Bouquet.

Directions;

Heat oil in 5-qt Dutch Oven over medium high heat (Oval Dutch Oven preferred).

Add beef cubes. Make sure that they are well spaced apart so that there is no steaming, as they must brown on all sides.

Stir often to prevent overbrowning or burning. Add veggies & garlic cloves. Stir together and cook for about 6 minutes more. Add water, beer and seasonings. Bring liquid to a rolling boil.

Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 2-1/2 hours or until meat is tender. In small bowl, combine water, flour & brown sauce. Mix thoroughly until lump-free. Add to meat / liquid mixture in pot. Stir until blended and liquid thickens. Cook for about five minutes more to let floury taste disappear.

Adjust seasonings if desired or needed. Serves about 6 to 8.

Enjoy!

If desired, short ribs, a large steak cut into medium size cubes, or a whole pot roast can be used in place of the stew beef.
    Last edited by tigerlilly; 03-02-2015, 06:39 PM.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

This sounds really good. I've made beer can chicken before but I've never used beer in any other kind of recipe; I'll have to try this!

Comment

For me, it was the very first time that I've used beer in cooking!

That bear did something wonderful to the meet and gravy!! Gave it a taste like I never had before!! Hah!!
      ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Beer can be used in place of stock in most any recipe. I always tell my wife that beer is always better than water.
        Chili is great using beer instead of water or stock for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Roll_Bones View Post
          Beer can be used in place of stock in most any recipe. I always tell my wife that beer is always better than water.
          Chili is great using beer instead of water or stock for example.

That is true, Roll_Bones, but I didn't want to do it that way - for fear that the beer might be too overbearing and drown out the taste of the meat. I just wanted a touch of the beer, just to add a little bit of beer to the taste of the meat & gravy in the background.

~BDH.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
            That is true, Roll_Bones, but I didn't want to do it that way - for fear that the beer might be too overbearing and drown out the taste of the meat. I just wanted a touch of the beer, just to add a little bit of beer to the taste of the meat & gravy in the background.
            Gotcha. When I make a pot roast or a stew, I use only beer as the liquid. It only enhances, it does not over power. Now I would assume a very dark strong beer might.
            But, I use whats in the fridge which is almost always Bud Light. I prefer to use something like Sam Adams lager, but I rarely buy any craft beers and actually prefer the cheaper, less stout, domestic beers.
            I am not a beer snob and will drink most any brand without one complaint.

Comment

The homemade beer that I had used for the braised beef was flat.

I AM a beer snob, because I don't drink just ANY beer, but I strongly DETEST drink flat beer! I think that you & I can agree on THAT one!

It somehow did not carbonate during the carbonation process, unless I somehow forgot to add sugar to the bottle before filling it with the yet-to-be-carbonated beer!!

So, instead of throwing it away, I used it to cook with, so that it wouldn't be wasted & thrown away.
              ~BDH.

Comment

Sherman, Of course i agree about flat beer. Some recipes call for flat beer though. I have a batter recipe that calls for flat beer.
                I can drink any kind of beer and will use any kind in cooking as beer is ALWAYS better than water....lol

I had a can of Schlitz the other day and it was damn good. It was ice cold and went very well with the plate of oysters on the half shell I was destroying.
                If I can eat raw oysters, I can drink any beer you offer me.
                When I use beer in cooking no one knows i use it. It has no off flavor nor does it over power. In most cases i just get the usual question as to how i made something that they liked. It is then I tell them I used beer.

Comment

I use to be a Head Chef in a Irish Pub in Melbourne Australia. As you may know a famous beer is Guinness Beer. I use to tell the bar staff to keep the Guinness Beer when they empty the beer lines before cleaning. There is a famous dish called Guinness Pie. It's a beef stew but instead of water or stock, you use the beer. It tastes great if you like Guinness Beer. We use to serve the stew in to a 1 portion backing dish, but pastry over the top of the dish and bake in the oven until the pastry was crispy. As a side dish we served junky chips (French fries) or mashed potato. This use to be one of our best seller on our menu, Aussies love it!

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                  X