No announcement yet.

An excellent pot roast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I gotcha! that is why you pair the pot roast with rice or pasta. that makes total sense now. When I introduced Hamburger gravy to a southern family I had met ages ago. they wanted me to make them some rice to put it on. I grew up (again) with Potatoes, and the occasional pasta, mom didn't cook much rice.
    Mary

I'm not a chef, and I don't play on one television

Comment

I think it might be a regional thing. Mom always paired dumpling noodles with pot roast, but rice is popular down south. I can eat it either way, doesn't bother me.

Comment

Tiger Lilly's Pot Roast

5 lb. rump roast
        Canola oil
        1 envelope beefy onion soup mix
        1 (10 oz.) box whole mushroom caps - cleaned and quartered
        1 - 2 cups Burgundy wine
        1 - 2 TBSP Gravy Master
        1 - 2 TBSP Mushroom Better Than Bouillon
        Water - just enough to come half way up roast

Oil and season roast with your favorite seasoning.
        Heat cast iron Dutch oven (or large pot).
        Add oil to pot (I use coconut oil to brown roast) and brown roast on all sides.
        Add all other ingredients to pot.
        Bring to boil then lower to simmer.
        Cover and simmer about 4 hours (turn every hour) or until tender enough to shred.
        You can thicken the jus (with a roux or water and flour) or serve as is.

Last edited by tigerlilly; 03-03-2015, 07:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.

“Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain.”
        -Dave Barry

Comment

Originally posted by rowan View Post
          I think it might be a regional thing. Mom always paired dumpling noodles with pot roast, but rice is popular down south. I can eat it either way, doesn't bother me.

Dumpling noodles is better paired for pot roasts or any beef recipes,

as for the rice pairing - you need to choose the long grains.

Comment

Originally posted by rowan View Post

Almost all US rice production is in Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas and California so those areas would be more prone to rice consumption.
            A lot of North American food also has roots in immigration and the slave trade. Asian migrant workers who worked on the railroads and people of African descendance both had rice as a staple in their diet.
            “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
            – Julia Child

Comment

Tiger that looks yummy!
              Mary

I'm not a chef, and I don't play on one television

Comment

• tigerlilly
                tigerlilly commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you

It DOES!!

I'm going to do one tomorrow in my new Power pressure Cooker XL! It should be interesting, because it'll be the first time using it.
              ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Getting the pot roast started now.

I will take pics of the process & post them when I'm done
                ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                X