• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Daddy's House
    started a topic Meatballs.

Meatballs.

(As Originally posted by Roll_Bones).

Here's how I make mine. Very similar to meatloaf.

2Lbs ground chuck 80/20.
    1 cup Italian bread crumbs.
    3/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan or Romano cheese. (fresh makes all the difference) if not, you can use the stuff in the green cans.
    3/4 cup fine chopped onion.
    1/3 cup fine chopped bell pepper.
    1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
    4-5 garlic cloves crushed and minced very fine. (You can use more if you like garlic)!
    2 beaten eggs.
    1/2 cup milk.
    1/4 cup ketchup or tomato sauce.
    Salt and pepper.

Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Mix well, but do not over mix.
    Let stand at least a few hours or overnight in the fridge.
    Test a small sample by frying it on the stove. This is to check for seasoning (salt and pepper). If its right, continue on. If it needs salt add it to the meat mixture.

Roll meat mixture into golf ball size rounds. Or what ever size you like.

Note: You should check for salt right after you finish the mixture. Before you allow it to rest.

From here, you can do what you want. I like to fry them to brown them. Then I drop them carefully into a simmering marinara sauce.
    Allow a few to firm up before adding any more. Push firm ones to the side and drop more in their place.

----------------------------------------------------------

My 11-year-old grand nephew who likes to cook & bake, He likes to bake them in the oven. He likes to put them on top of the spaghetti dry & then put some of the sauce over all on each plate. He taught me that!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 01-31-2015, 06:13 PM.

• DebbieMarlson
    replied
    Sounds fantastic thanks for sharing recipe x

Leave a comment:

• tigerlilly
    commented on 's reply
    I like to use rotini in baked pasta instead of ziti.

• ChefBlue
    replied
    Rotini is one of my favorites. Good for casseroles.

Leave a comment:

• tigerlilly
    replied
    I made meatballs and sauce last week. I made enough meatballs for 2 meals (4 servings each meal) and enough sauce (without meat) to put in freezer. I have 5 pints of sauce frozen and waiting to go.

I tried Ronzoni Quick Cook Rotini. It cooks in exactly 3 minutes perfectly. They are skinny short corkscrews. I will use them again.

Leave a comment:

• Big Daddy's House
    replied
    You guys got me wanting spaghetti & meatballs or meat sauce now! I may do it next week. Hah!

Leave a comment:

• tigerlilly
    commented on 's reply
    that sounds very good.

• Ramiro
    replied
    Chipotle Meatballs Recipe

Chipotle chiles are jalapeño peppers that have been smoked and dried. They are often served in an adobo sauce made with chiles, garlic, vinegar, onions and tomatoes. We came across this recipe for Chipotle Meatballs recently in the New York Times (a corrected version of the recipe) and it sounded so good we gave it a whirl. The verdict? Excellent! Particularly good served with plain rice or tortillas. Quite spicy, best accompanied by something cool - sour cream, salad. It has been added to our list of new favorites.

3 slices bacon in 1-inch pieces
    3 garlic cloves, peeled
    2 large eggs
    ½ cup bread crumbs
    Salt
    1 ¼ pounds ground pork
    ½ cup (loosely packed) coarsely chopped mint leaves, more for garnish
    1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted), drained of all but ¼ cup juice
    1 or 2 canned chipotle chilies in adobo, stemmed, seeded and sauce reserved
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    About 1½ cups beef or chicken broth.

1 Heat oven to 450 degrees. In a food processor, combine bacon and 1 garlic clove. Process until finely chopped. Add eggs, bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon salt. Pulse several times to combine thoroughly, then add pork and mint. Pulse a few more times until well combined but not a paste. Remove meat from processor.

2 With wet hands, form meat into about 16 plum-size balls and space them out in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.

3 While meatballs bake, combine tomatoes, ¼ cup tomato juice, chipotles, 1 to 2 tablespoons chipotle sauce, oregano, remaining garlic cloves (cut in half) and ½ teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor. Process to a smooth purée.

4 When meatballs are ready, spoon off rendered fat from baking dish, then pour tomato mixture on top, covering meatballs evenly. Bake until sauce has thickened somewhat, 15 to 20 minutes.

5 Heat broth in a small saucepan. Divide meatballs among four dinner plates, leaving sauce behind. Stir enough broth into sauce to give it a spoonable consistency. Taste and season with salt, if necessary. Spoon sauce over meatballs, decorate with extra mint leaves, if you wish, and serve.

Serves four.

Leave a comment:

• HenryOwen
    replied
    I fell in love cooking this Baked Salmon Meatballs with Creamy Avocado! It's so refreshing and delicious!

Leave a comment:

• yumfood
    replied
    Thanks for the reccipes. Now I want meatballs. mmmmmmm.

Leave a comment:

• eletom
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Daddy's House View Post

It is not that complicated if you know how to do it.

I just made a meat loaf yesterday.
    Haha. Nothing is complicated if you know how to do it. But I am sure after a few attempts it will be easy.

Leave a comment:

• Big Daddy's House
    replied
    Originally posted by eletom View Post
    wow. meatballs are much more complex than I anticipated. nonetheless I should try it. by the way it is lovely how you use the "hungarian paprika" term. (sorry I actually did not believe that our paprika is really famous. I thought it is just "World famous in Hungary" like many of our products) So, do you use paprika ground, dried paprika or maybe fresh? And maybe I would use a combination of black and white pepper since the flavor of the cayenne is too much similar to paprika, IMO.

It is not that complicated if you know how to do it.

I just made a meat loaf yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• eletom
    replied
    wow. meatballs are much more complex than I anticipated. nonetheless I should try it. by the way it is lovely how you use the "hungarian paprika" term. (sorry I actually did not believe that our paprika is really famous. I thought it is just "World famous in Hungary" like many of our products) So, do you use paprika ground, dried paprika or maybe fresh? And maybe I would use a combination of black and white pepper since the flavor of the cayenne is too much similar to paprika, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Chriskey2015
    replied
    I should try this! I love meatballs !

Leave a comment:

• tigerlilly
    replied
    Originally posted by Raizin View Post
    Your recipe sounds very appetizing and yummy. I will sure give it a try next weekend as I will have friends over for a dinner party.
    Let us know what recipe you use and how they turned out.

Leave a comment:

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

Working...
X