• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garam masala recipe

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Advertisement

Advertisement Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garam masala recipe

To make Garam Masala, use the following ingredients:

2 cardamom pods, seeded
    1 teaspoon whole cloves
    30 whole peppercorns
    2 teaspoons whole cumin seed
    1 2-inch piece cinnamon stick
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

The best method for making garam masala is to toast and then grind the ingredients. This is accomplished by placing the seed ingredients one at a time in a pan over medium high heat, and shaking them until they just begin to smoke and release their distinctive aromas. It will take approximately 1-3 minutes. Be sure not to burn the seeds!

Place the toasted ingredients in a spice mill, and grind to a fairly fine mixture. The garam masala can then be stored in a tightly sealed glass jar for up to 6 months. Any time after that, and the spices will begin to lose flavor and aroma.

I use garam masala for a rub for roasted or grilled chicken and beef. The aroma and flavor are outstanding, and chicken baked or grilled will retain the excellent flavor of the garam masala.

Try garam masala today. Cooking with the spices of northern India is an experience that every adventurous chef should try!

That's a lot of pepper corns ? Is that a regional recipe.?
    The one I usually make has the following ingredients:

3 tbsps coriander seeds
    1 tbsp cumin seeds
    1 tbsp black peppercorns
    1 tbsp black cumin seeds
    2 tsp black cardamom
    1 large nutmeg ground
    1 tsp cloves
    1 sticks of cinnamon 2"
    3 bay leaves

I dry roast all the components separately and then grind in a mortar and pestle till fine and jar.

Note: store in a cool and dark place

Comment

That's interesting. Why wouldn't you simply buy the garam masala online?

Humbly,
      Jug

Comment

Originally posted by juguar View Post
        That's interesting. Why wouldn't you simply buy the garam masala online?

Humbly,
        Jug
        Thats because we are posting on a food forum where we exchance recipes and cooking techniques. I take it from your statement that all food can be bought on line, so WHY do we bother !

Comment

Originally posted by PappaLazarou View Post
          Thats because we are posting on a food forum where we exchance recipes and cooking techniques. I take it from your statement that all food can be bought on line, so WHY do we bother !
          My bad.. I should've clarified my question. If you're making it because you're passionate about it, then I really don't have a question. I was only wondering if there was something bad with the stuff that's found online.

Peace,
          Jug

Comment

Originally posted by juguar View Post
            My bad.. I should've clarified my question. If you're making it because you're passionate about it, then I really don't have a question. I was only wondering if there was something bad with the stuff that's found online.

Peace,
            Jug
            Cheers!

There is no way of guaranteeing the freshness of many spices and mixtures online or in fact any shops. And the true foody will grind the spices in a mortar and pestle and create truly fresh and aromatic results.
            Last edited by PappaLazarou; 07-21-2010, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Read the thread ......Garam Masala Recipe's. It's not that hard really...Is it ?

Comment

Working...
              X