Titanium vs. teflon... cookware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanium vs. teflon... cookware

Recently, I picked up a nice set of Henckels Twin Quisine knives and am now in the midst of replacing all my pots and pans (which are teflon based), and was shopping around for a new set. Originally, I had my eyes set on an anodized allum + copper cladding set, but it seems quite expensive and high-maintenance. I also love how easy it is to clean my teflon set. I understand that there are safety issues which are associated with teflon and cooking at high temperatures as well as similar issues as the pans 'wear n' tear' over time.Anyhow, my question is regarding an alternative that I saw at a trade show. There were a few booths that were showing cast alluminum cookware coated with titanium. They are quite expensive and seem very durable, but upon first glance look remarkably similar to my older teflon coated cookware. These titanium coated sets attracted me particularly because they exhibited the same non-stick properties (if not better) as teflon. What I am wondering is; do these titanium products contain any of the health threatening chemicals that are found in teflon based products namely: PFTE and PFOA ?
    I would drop the money for this product because of it's non-stick performance, but I don't want to sacrifice the health of myself and my family?
    If anyone has any insight or information, I would be very thankful.
    If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry?

I don't know the answer to health issues, I hope someone comes up with more information because I would like to know too. I am planning to replace my pots and pans soon, I really like the idea of the ones with the folding handles as they would be so much easier to store, I am just a bit worried about how safe they would be.

Comment

Now this is a very difficult question, I have to admit. I have some teflon cookware and I am pretty pleased with it. I never knew about the possible issues, but I think it would be a good idea to also look further into this matter. I also new to buy some new ones, maybe it's a good time for a change

Comment

I think Teflon is best, but of course i may be wrong..
        I use only Teflon in my kitchen and i'm loving it. It's easy to use and the food won't stick to the pan. Any other products i had were useless...
        ________
        chevy wiki
        Last edited by she_cookie; 01-24-2011, 09:17 AM.

Comment

We also use teflon.
          We like it and we already have teflon things in the kitchen, so we won't buy new ones to soon.
          I used to think it is best, but now i think that there are other products too, maybe better, we just didn't try them yet.
          ________
          Prilosec settlement
          Last edited by Ralphy; 08-24-2011, 05:12 PM.

Comment

I use the stainless waterless cookware. It is the best and the safest. Teflon thru overheating is a problem and the flaking is not good for you.

Comment

We don't have titanum, we use teflon cookware.. It's much better for me than the titanum.
              I've got a great deal at lionsdeal it will
              give you a great deal just enter the coupon code on the checkout page to get the discount 'online 10' which will give 8-10% off everything on the entire website with minimum $50 order, enter the coupon code on the checkout page to get the discount.

Comment

Love them both..

I canít speak, there both doing well in the kitchen but then Iím not yet that familiar using a Teflon cookware in my recipes, but Iím glad that we all both recognize different cookware. As one of the people who use kitchen gadget, and still using it I would like to recommend Stainless Steel Milk Containers where you can stock a large amount of milk. Just a glimpse of information about stainless steel and still the choice is yours. Thanks a lot!

Have a nice day and keep smiling!!
                "There's no use trying to rush fate, because the best things in life are worth the wait."

Cord Blood Banking- An Overview

Comment

If you like Teflon and it works for you, and you are concerned about high heat problems. Why not get new Teflon, hit a couple of yard sales, and pick up a couple of cast iron skillets? Way better for searing, last forever, and little maintenance.

Comment

I've heard good and bad about titanium, but there are many who are disappointed with titanium. Teflon works, but I can taste when it's used.

I've heard about the harmful effects of teflon, but I've never seen an solid proof that it causes harm. I've heard that it's overheating that causes fumes that are dangerous. Some say that the fumes have even killed pet birds! If that's true, that's scary stuff.

I stay with tried and true stainless steel. Learn to clean it properly and it's easy to clean and it will last a lifetime.

Comment

I am in favor of titanium! I do not know, maybe there are downsides, but this is my opinion

Comment

Titanium cookware is flexible. There are good reviews over the net, so it's highly recommended.

Comment

I prefer teflon.

Comment

I like basic stainless steel. because it's safe when cooking at high temperature
                            Last edited by ChefBlue; 03-10-2017, 04:10 AM.

Comment

This is an old thread, but if anyone is still wondering...titanium cookware is merely nonstick cookware reinforced with titanium particles to make it more durable. The nonstick can be either variety: teflon or ceramic. Interestingly, it seems like "titanium" has become a new way for manufacturers of PTFE (teflon) cookware to downplay the fact that it has teflon in it. But if it doesn't specifically say "ceramic titanium", then it's almost certainly a PTFE nonstick coating reinforced with titanium.

Titanium itself is not a nonstick surface. In fact, it's just as sticky, if not stickier, than stainless steel. However, when added to a nonstick coating, it sort of sits above the coating, protecting it from the scourges of metal utensils. It won't, however, protect it from high heat or dishwashers. To a degree, it will help protect it from abrasive cleaning pads, but I wouldn't use one on it, even if the manufacturers say it's ok to do so.

One last thought: PFOA is a chemical used in the PTFE nonstick coating process, but it's been phased out in the US as of 2015. If you see any marketing claims that say "PFOA free," the pan is almost certainly PTFE, even if they try to hide that fact by saying it's "titanium" or even "ceramic titanium" (as in the case of ScanPan, which is PTFE despite calling itself ceramic). If it's a ceramic nonstick, they simply say it's ceramic--this coating isn't associated with health and environmental hazards as PTFE is, so there's no need to try to hide it.

It's a confusing topic for sure!

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                              X