• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I substitute for port wine?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Welcome to vBulletin!

Welcome to vBulletin! Module
Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

To edit or remove this module, click "edit site", then "edit page".

Latest Topics

Latest Topics Module
Collapse

• EmmaWislie
    Two of the four World Trade
    EmmaWislie
    Two of the four World Trade Center buildings have been completed, and 5 million square-feet of office space has already been leased.State and city officials...
    6 hours ago
  • CuteAngel
    zeroing in on small details
    CuteAngel
    Mr. Kissinger, now 91, strides briskly from century to century, continent to continent, examining the alliances and divisions that have defined Europe...
    1 day ago
  • Tyler
    Do you want CookingForums to revert to its old self?
    Tyler
    Do you want CookingForums to revert to its old self? It is no secret that a lot of you are unhappy with the "new" CookingForums. There is a possibility that I can have the website reverted back t...
    Yes please!
    100.00%
    No thanks.
    0.00%
    I'm not sure.
    0.00%
    3 days ago
  • Tyler
    Forum Software Upgraded
    Tyler
    Yesterday, I upgraded the forum's software to a release that just came out. It was supposed to have addressed a number of bugs and issues, but not many of them were...
    3 days ago
  • Trecey Thomas
    Kids Friendly Banana Cake Recipe????
    Trecey Thomas
    I usually make this easy and quick Best Banana Cake - Easy, Quick and Yummy. Please share some more Banana Cake Recipes....

2 cups - Flour...
    1 week ago

Advertisement

Advertisement Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I substitute for port wine?

Hi, I'm making a pomegranate sauce and the recipe calls for port wine. I have dry marsala or cream sherry. Can I use either one of these instead?

If you had a Cabernet Souvigon I'd sy you'd be alright to use it. Not sure about the ones you have available though. Port wine is a pretty sweet wine. The 2 you listed are both dry wines.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolinaQue View Post
      If you had a Cabernet Souvigon I'd sy you'd be alright to use it. Not sure about the ones you have available though. Port wine is a pretty sweet wine. The 2 you listed are both dry wines.
      If a recipe calls for fortified wine, like port or sherry, I would not suggest using regular wine like a cab or merlot. Plus cabernet sauvignon doesn't taste anything like port.

Both your marsala and your sherry are much closer to port in taste and dryness. Neither marsala nor sherry are truly "dry." Even "dry" fortified wines have a distinct sweetness to them.

Personally, I'd go for the marsala, as I think the taste is closer to port than sherry is.

Comment

Well, I guess I learned something today! Thanks for the clarification.

Tim

Comment

Working...
        X