Salad - what do you put in it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad - what do you put in it?

I love subbing out a meal when it is just me with a salad or I will have one for lunch. They can just make a good meal and it is healthy as long as you are not drowning it with dressing. Today I just had a little lettuce, some onion slivers, croutons and crab meat. For some reason I am stuck on the crab lately though. We can't always get it in our area and I miss being close to fish for our own. Anyone else use seafood in your homemade salads like me?

I don't eat seafood very much anymore so no, I don't put it in my salad. I usually start with a Ready Pac salad mixture (the romaine one is one of my faves) and then add cubed ham or grilled chicken for protein. I also like shredded cheese, croutons, nuts of almost any kind or sunflower seeds, fruit (usually oranges and strawberries) and the dressing.

Comment

I love taco salads, with ground turkey or chicken cooked and crumbled with taco seasoning, then I will usually make myself a tortilla bowl with a flour tortilla in one of the pans I added a link to below. I use shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sliced olives, red onions, or green onions, shredded cheese, taco bell restaurant sauce, mild picante sauce, sour cream and guacamole. the last two ingredients along with the olives are definitely optional.
      Amazon.com: Non-Stick Tortilla Shell Makers- Set of 4: Kitchen Tool Sets: Kitchen & Dining
      Mary

I'm not a chef, and I don't play on one television

Comment

another favorite of mine is just a basic lettuce salad with tomato, onion, and grilled chicken, with my creamy Italian dressing maybe a few homemade croutons.
        Mary

Comment

Oh, you said the taco salad, that is another one of my favorites! I can't handle the packaged salads they have at the stores, most of the time I will find something in it that I won't eat. Chicken is another big favorite of mine, that is usually where the leftover chicken goes in this house.

Comment

I have several favorite salads. One of them is taco salad, which I make with seasoned ground beef, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, and salsa. Another is a knock-off of one of the salads you can get from O'Charley's -- it has lettuce, tomatoes, grilled chicken, mandarin orange slices, strawberries, candied pecans, dried cranberries, and balsamic vinaigrette. The third one is a basic salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, croutons, and ranch dressing.

Comment

OMG Tongs, that sounds yummy and reminds me of another salad we like to make around here. knock off olive garden salad. with lettuce, red onion, tomatoes, black olives, pepperoncini, and their salad dressing.

and one other I make occasionally with lettuce mandarin orange segments, chicken shaved almonds, craisins, chopped chicken and balsamic vinaigrette.
              Last edited by Semigourmet; 10-16-2014, 07:57 AM.
              Mary

Comment

Funny that you should ask that!

I'm eating a salad for dinner right now!!

It has lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, shredded carrot topped with tuna fish salad, bacon bits Ranch dressing, grated cheese & a little ground black pepper.
                ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

My favorite thing is a bottle of McCormick "Salad Toppins." It will be in the grocery isle near the bacon bits. The bottle has little light crunchy things that make the salad better. My mom likes to put Pine Nuts on her salads. I like them, too, but they are hard to find. The WalMart in Sioux Falls doesn't have them so I can't buy them. I think she gets them from Costco. Pine Nuts are good on a salad!!! These are nice little accents to the veggies and fruit on a salad sort of like grated cheddar cheese but much better.

Comment

does any other alternative for salad.

fruits are okk bIt i don't like vegetables in without cooked

please recommend me salad recipe wich would help to reduce fat and

Comment

We take a boiled egg and mix it in.
                      Thuna is also quite nice in Salad. But its kinda sea food.

Comment

It sounds a new great ideas for me.

Comment

For salad.I tossed cucumber, tomato, celery, red cabbage, carrot, sweet corn with lemon juice. It is yummy in taste.
                          Palate Culinary Studio | Best Cooking Classes In Mumbai

Comment

Salad is great when the weather is very hot. It has been a while since we had that unbearably hot, don't feel like cooking weather, but I would have had cold cooked meat, lettuce, red onion sliced, tomato, hard-boiled egg, cucumber, coleslaw and potato salad all on the plate. If I was putting one together now, I would probably occasionally use tinned mackerel instead of the meat and also add some radishes, which I have recently started eating. It's so quick and only the potato needs to be cooked, unless you buy ready-made potato salad.

Gillian

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

• Eowyn01
                              your favorite asian dish
                              Eowyn01
                              Just wondering if any of you is interested in the Asian cuisine as well and if so what's your favorite dish? I, for example, am a huge fan of Korean and...
                              2 weeks ago
                            • nopeda
                              Trying to learn something about Asian seafood seasoning
                              nopeda
                              Hi,

I've been to several Chinese/Asian(?) buffets over the years and especially like the "seafood delight" that they offer. They...
                              3 weeks ago
                            • aruze9
                              What can you do with banana peels?
                              aruze9
                              Bananas taste really good, right? The fruit is always in my daily diet. In addition, it can bring about many health benefits such as reducing stress,...
                              3 weeks ago
                            • cedar
                              Beef Stew for Pot Roast?
                              cedar
                              Hello!

I am crock potting a pot roast for church Sunday (pot luck).
                              I usually get the McCormicks pot roast seasoning pouch but they...
                              3 weeks ago
                            • Eowyn01
                              fresh meat in the forum
                              Eowyn01
                              Hey there, Emily here, completely new to the forum and basically anything forum-related haha I'm a 31-year-old goofball who just loves to cook even...
                              3 weeks ago
                            Working...
                            X