Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to learn something about Asian seafood seasoning

Hi,

I've been to several Chinese/Asian(?) buffets over the years and especially like the "seafood delight" that they offer. They are certainly not all the same... the first one I enjoyed had fake crab, shrimp, mushrooms, water chestnuts, broccoli, and whatever else. Others have had the same or fewer items, the least of which had only the fake crab and shrimp. But they all seem to have had a similar seasoning flavor. Do any of you know what I'm referring to, and if so if it's possible to purchase at a supermarket like Walmart or Publix, or a specialty place, and what specifically to buy to get that flavor at home? I'm trying to get that flavor to make something with fake crab and mushrooms with a sauce to put over rice. Something not too high in fat, or sodium either if possible.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!
    David

I'm not familiar with the dish. Is it in a soy based sauce?
    “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
    – Julia Child

Comment

Originally posted by ChefBlue View Post
      I'm not familiar with the dish. Is it in a soy based sauce?
      I don't know. I'm not really a cook, just trying to learn how to make something similar to this at home. It's always in a clear whitish sort of sauce that could very well be soy based.

Comment

Without knowing some specifics it would be difficult to give an answer other than to say that the flavors typical of Chinese food in North America would be soy, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, vinegar (often black vineger) Chinese cooking wine, green onion, honey, hot chilies, sometimes cilantro. There would be many regional flavor profiles.
        “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
        – Julia Child

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

• CaribouWho
          Ice cream makers, any recommendations?
          CaribouWho
          Hi all, I'm keen to get into ice cream making and wondering if anyone has any experience with the different machines.

I've found this guide...
          3 weeks ago
        • Gillian
          Potato Soup
          Gillian
          Has anyone got a good recipe for potato soup please? Alternatively suggest what to do with some wrinkly old potatoes which have grown roots already?...
          3 weeks ago
        Working...
        X