Non-alcoholic Alternative?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-alcoholic Alternative?

So my cousin's birthday party is in 2 days and I volunteered to make my amazing Flaming Alaska, but since there will be a couple of kids there waiting to get their paws on some delicious cake, (they're picky eaters) I can't use alcohol to ignite the flame (even though the alcohol itself is burned up in the flame). Does anyone know of an alternatitive flammable liquid/substance that can be used in the place of liquor? (and yes, I know I can make baked Alaska but let's face it, its lame.)

As far as I know, alcohol is about the only edible flammeable liquid. Why the worry with the kids? You are only using a splash, and burning out the alcohol.

Comment

I agree. I don't think it would be a problem.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Jimbo is right on this one, the only other edible flammable liquid I can think of is any kind of cooking oil, but I feel that would ruin this effect heehee

As you said the alcohol gets burnt off in lighting (it is the flammable part after all) so for the kids it's not a problem. If your concern is the taste of alcohol go for something that would be sweeter maybe like Cointreau, a fruit schnapps or Curaçao.

Comment

Looking at this from a different perspective, the dish will have less alcohol than a bottle of soft drink. Any time you have sugar in a liquid, fermentation begins

I use alcohol in a variety of dishes. Beer in my chili, Sherry in many dishes. Wine in many dishes and sauces.

Besides, trust me on this, kids love to watch their food go up in flames. You will be the hit of the party.

If, however, you are running into adult opposition to the alcohol, defer and make baked alaska.

Comment

And a definite thing that signifies the alcohol being burnt off is when the flames go out.

You'll just have the taste of the liquid, but not the alcohol.

A rule of thumb that I use is if you wouldn't drink it, then why use it in cooking? This usually refers to cooking wine. Do not buy this stuff! It is loaded with sodium (salt)!

I use drinking wine. It is not that much more expensive than cooking wine. Most liquor stores run markdown sales on cheap wines.

My two main ones are Chabali (white wine) & Burgundy (red wine).
            Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 08-01-2012, 01:58 PM.
            ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Absolutely. If you don't want to drink it, don't use it in cooking.

Comment

Right!!

I like Chabali & Burgundy. These two, I like to to keep on hand for cooking with, such as pot roast, beef stew, spaghetti sauce and other stuff.
                ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

So do I. Those are two good choices, imo.

Comment

Yes they are.
                    ~BDH.

Comment

An alternative would be to put a few burning candles in the dish and give him a quarter teaspoon of ground cinnamon in the palm of his hand to blow through the candles when he blows them out. It has a spectacular effect and freshens up a room nicely. Just make sure there are no kids directly across the cake from the blower.

Comment

Oh yes and I agree with you. For cooking definitely use a wine you would drink. Some for the recipe, some for myself, hehehe
                        Big Daddy is correct about the salt in cooking wines however, I must admit that I keep a bottle of dry Sherry in the fridge just in case I do not have a wine on hand to cook with. The Sherry will outlast a bottle of wine by 6 months in the refrigerator and of course a 1/2 cup or so is all that is necessary for most recipes. Horrible for drinking.
                        I still love a good Ale the best for drinking my dear ones

Comment

I would like to read about it anymore. Prompt, what literature to study?

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                          X