• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does cooked rice harden while in the fridge?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Hot Topics This Month

Hot Topics This Month Module
Collapse

• Semigourmet
    What's on your menu this week.
    Semigourmet
    What are Y'all cookin this week?

Tonight I am going to make a Paprika Chicken with Brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes.
    then later...
    1 week ago
  • breny
    Has anyone given up soda?
    breny
    We try to be healthy but I have never kicked the soda habit. I cut down to just one a day, maybe two if it was the weekend and I was having an adult drink....
    3 weeks ago
  • Semigourmet
    6 Hour Pork Butt
    Semigourmet
    Servings 10

Ingredients

1 pork butt 5 to 8 pounds, bone in or boneless, fat cap trimmed to 1/8 inch...
    2 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Caramelizing onions
    GrillKing
    Okay, so maybe this is a standard "dude" question, but what are caramelized onions and how do they get that way? I have seen them used in some...
    2 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Can Openers
    GrillKing
    Our old electric can opener has finally died. We have had that thing for about 10 years now and want to get another one. My wife threw it out (because...
    2 weeks ago
  • Aldiena
    Crockpot Spaghetti
    Aldiena
    Has anyone done this before? Depending on the type of pasta I get (and the brand) I can let it cook on low for about five hours and sometimes I can manage...
    2 weeks ago
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
    Thanx, Natt12321!

Tangerine, I NEVER let cooked rice sit out THAT long!!!!!!
    Hahaha! Me neither, but I know people who have. I prefer rice that is freshly made though. It seems it loses a little something when you re-heat it anyway. Think so?

Comment

Originally posted by natt12321 View Post
      That's not actually true, it only take a couple of hours for the toxins to be of a level to cause illness. The toxins are also not killed during reheating.

The issue with rice is that the bacteria is spore forming as I mentioned, this means that it needs to be heated to around 112C to be killed (with the boiling point of water being 100C, the high temperature needed doesn't usually get reached during cooking). At around 60C and below 5C the bacteria puts on a little jacket (or forms a spore) to protect itself from the suboptimal conditions, but when it's jacket comes off it starts to release toxins which can't be removed by reheating. These toxins are the real problem, not so much the bacillus cereus itself. The toxins aren't released in the rice packaging as the rice is dry which is another type of suboptimal condition for the bacteria to live in, so once again on goes it's little protective jacket until it gets nice and warm and wet (such as after it's been cooked).

Pre-cooked packaged rice is treated with extreme caution. Usually there are no people involved in the packaging of it, it's all done in a controlled environment by machines. The rice is blasted at 112C before being packed with nitrogen 'just to be safe'.

Advice to people who save rice tends to be that if it has been in the danger zone for 4 hours or more it should be disposed of as it is too high risk to eat. As DarkGinger said it is a risk not a certainty as the offending bacteria is not always present, but it's a risk that I sure don't take. Rice is also not the only place this bacteria can be found, however it is the most common place that is it found.

Hope that clears things up BDH.
      Very good info. I won't forget it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tangerine View Post
        Hahaha! Me neither, but I know people who have. I prefer rice that is freshly made though. It seems it loses a little something when you re-heat it anyway. Think so?

And I wouldn't go to their houses to eat either!!!!!
        ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Comment

About 3-4 days. I never have any problem with storing cooked rice in the fridge, but make sure its cooled and place in an airtight container. It never goes dry, hard or loses its flavor and I've been doing this for over 20yrs.

Comment

I've stored rice in the fridge for a long time as well.

it's just that it gets hard while in there. I was always curious as to why it does that, but it seems as though the starch is the culprit.
            ~BDH.

Comment

I don't think so that cooked rice harden while in the fridge.

Comment

It DOES. You probably never had leftover rice that you've had to put in the fridge after a meal.
                ~BDH.

Comment

Working...
                X