• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcocked chicken

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spatchcocked chicken

Has anyone ever spatchcocked a chicken for roasting in the oven? I know people frequently do this for cooking on a grill, but on Sunday I did it this way in the oven. It makes the best roasted chicken ever!

For those that haven't tried it, you cut out the backbone with sharp shears. Then on the inside, use a heavy knife to crack the breastbone along its length. Now turn the chicken skin side up, and flatten it out. Tuck the wings, put it on a rack, and brush with butter & your favorite seasonings.

When you roast it this way, there are a couple advantages. Since the dark meat is spread out on the sides, rather than underneath the bird, it cooks faster. And since the breast meat is in the center, rather than on top, it cooks a little slower. This allows the thighs to cook through before the breast overcooks. You can attain the desired 10 degree difference between the white & the dark meat. It's perfectly juicy everywhere!

Another great advantage is that all of the skin is on top. All of the skin gets beautifully brown & crispy. There is no flabby pale skin left on the bottom side of the bird.

Unfortunately, I only took a pic of it before putting it in the oven. When it came out, I forgot to get the money shot. Next time.

Does anyone else do this? Or do you save it for the outdoor grill?
    Last edited by SilverSage; 01-25-2012, 12:28 PM.

Unfortunately SS, one of my weaknesses is golden chicken skin and this looks like the mother lode. I will have to give this a try. I guess the only down side though is no stuffing ?

Comment

I use a Big Green Egg outdoor grill, which basically makes me seem like a master chef, but the spatchcocked chicken comes out great! I think i'll try it in the oven next time though.

Comment

I have never tried this but it is on my "todo" list.

HMMMMMMMM I wonder if you spread out the stuffing in the broiler tray under the rack if it would turn out good. I assume while preparing the chicken most of the excess fat is removed. So the chicken juices would drip down into the pan and stuffing. Which would impart wonderful chicken flavor without much fat and may crisp up a bit. What do you think?

Comment

Although I've never tried it myself, Cook's Illustrated did something similar once. They folded a couple layers of aluminum foil and turned the edges up to make a kind of 'tray'. They piled the stuffing on that, then laid the spatchcocked chicken on top of that. The foil tray was small enough to sit under the body of the chicken, not under the legs & wings & thighs so much.

That way, the stuffing didn't dry out on the bottom of the broiler pan, and the little tray held in the juices. It would not give you the great drippings for gravy, but you would get your stuffing.

Seems there's always a trade-off.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSage View Post
            Although I've never tried it myself, Cook's Illustrated did something similar once. They folded a couple layers of aluminum foil and turned the edges up to make a kind of 'tray'. They piled the stuffing on that, then laid the spatchcocked chicken on top of that. The foil tray was small enough to sit under the body of the chicken, not under the legs & wings & thighs so much.

That way, the stuffing didn't dry out on the bottom of the broiler pan, and the little tray held in the juices. It would not give you the great drippings for gravy, but you would get your stuffing.

Seems there's always a trade-off.
            BUT you CAN roast the back bones you cut out and/or simmer them to make a wonderful stock and gravy. HMMMMMMMM OH MY you have given me a wonderful meal idea! THANK YOU so much SS!!

Comment

I have never tried it myself but one of my friend had did it. I newer knew how to prepare it but now I'll try it.

Comment

Working...
              X