• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Levi Roots - Yay or nay?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Hot Topics This Month

Hot Topics This Month Module
Collapse

• rowan
    Grilled Cheese
    rowan
    Lately I've had a hankering for grilled cheese, but I want to try something different. I've been musing over different things I could add to my grilled...
    2 weeks ago
  • AsmaMohd
    Delicious Tiramisu Recipe.
    AsmaMohd
    Description: A wildly popular Italian cake, Tiramisu is traditionally flavored with coffee, cocoa and liquor.

Video URL:
    https://clip.mn/video/yt-mK5cDcfvo3s...
    3 days ago
  • ChocolateChip
    Water and wine
    ChocolateChip
    I have travelled to some countries where they add sparkling water to their red wine. I am honestly undecided as to if I like it or not. I love a good...
    3 weeks ago
  • Darkginger
    Can you sort out the spam reporting feature, please?
    Darkginger
    It's been weeks now that this hasn't been working - we get an error message when trying to report any posts. Thanks!
    1 week ago
  • ChocolateChip
    Favorite Cheese?
    ChocolateChip
    I think I would have to say that one of my favorite cheeses is a good quality Swiss. I like the tanginess of it. Aged cheddar and Brie are pretty yummy...
    2 weeks ago
  • spatUla
    Need salt but healthy too
    spatUla
    I love potato chips. I crave salty snacks often. They are not good for you though. Anyone have any tips or recipes for healthy and salty snacks?
    3 weeks ago
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levi Roots - Yay or nay?

Hi All

Was just wondering whether anyone was a fan (or not) of Levi Roots. I quite like spicy food and he has a book out called 'Spice It Up' - got a good write up on Amazon(.co.uk)

Any feelings on Mr Roots?

Thanks!

CF

I just Googled his name. Here's a pic of him. He's also featured on Wikipedia.org. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi_Roots

I'm just willing to bet that he cooks his food way too spicey for me!! Reggae food is often spiced up to the hilt!!!

According to sources, he's a Jamaican / Reggae musician, TV personality, clebrity chef, businessman and a multi-millionaire. I'd say that he's very famous for his multiple talents.
    Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 06-20-2011, 07:32 AM.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Comment

Haven't tried any of the recipes (althought I've considered buying the book in question a few times) but his ready meals are amazing. Really flavoursome. They are quite spicy, but people who are really into spice would be disappointed with the ones I eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
        According to sources, he's a Jamaican / Reggae musician, TV personality, clebrity chef, businessman and a multi-millionaire. I'd say that he's very famous for his multiple talents.
        Sounds like he's a busy guy! I imagine his sauces have a hint of Jerk to them. After my wife and I's trip to Jamaica we got really into Jerk seasoning. Good stuff.

Comment

Those 2 bottles of Reggae / Jerk hot sauce that he's holding in the pic above, must be FIREY hot!!!
          ~BDH.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
            Those 2 bottles of Reggae / Jerk hot sauce that he's holding in the pic above, must be FIREY hot!!!
            It isn't 'hot sauce' it's a barbecue sauce, can be used as a marinade or a dip. But with 1.5% scotch bonnet chilli in it it's not exactly going to blow your head off. I mean they are a spicy chilli don't get me wrong, but with such a small quantity I can't see how this sauce can be any spicier than the other products I've already tried.

Comment

Missed the word; BBQ.
              ~BDH.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I really liked his sauces (although, as I'm not much of a TV person, I didn't know that it had anything to do with Dragon's Den). They even do a 'Reggae Reggae' sandwich at Tesco and Pizza at Pizza Hut (now that's some good partnering/marketing!)

I don't really know him as a 'house hold' name but thought as his sauces were nice his food might be too. By the looks of things he's still quite an unknown quantity but I do like spicy food so might just give it a go and let you know!

Thanks again.

Comment

I had the reggae reggae pizza from Dominos yesterday (partly because I was intrigued because of this thread, partly because it was the veggie pizza with pineapple that I've been waiting my whole life for!) and it was gooood!

It was as I suspected, tasty hot not spicy for the sake of it hot. I would deffo buy the sauce in the future for using with other things.

As for the book I think I might have a better look at it now.

Comment

I don't think that I've had any Reggae cuisine that I can remember. Unless haitian cooking is Reggae as well. I guess that I could cook it if I really were to give it a try.

I've had Haitian cooking though.

A former coworker who is now a friend of mine who IS Haitian, has been offering me some of his lunch, and he, also, makes his dishes kind of spicy. But I didn't complain, because it's not right to complain about something being offered to me. It's the thought that counts!

He really is a nice person!! He invited me over to his house for the Fourth of July, so I'm making something to bring over so that he can try out MY cooking.
                    ~BDH.

Comment

Working...
                    X