• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chef Pol Martin

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Hot Topics This Month

Hot Topics This Month Module
Collapse

• Semigourmet
    What's on your menu this week.
    Semigourmet
    What are Y'all cookin this week?

Tonight I am going to make a Paprika Chicken with Brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes.
    then later...
    1 week ago
  • breny
    Has anyone given up soda?
    breny
    We try to be healthy but I have never kicked the soda habit. I cut down to just one a day, maybe two if it was the weekend and I was having an adult drink....
    2 weeks ago
  • Semigourmet
    6 Hour Pork Butt
    Semigourmet
    Servings 10

Ingredients

1 pork butt 5 to 8 pounds, bone in or boneless, fat cap trimmed to 1/8 inch...
    2 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Caramelizing onions
    GrillKing
    Okay, so maybe this is a standard "dude" question, but what are caramelized onions and how do they get that way? I have seen them used in some...
    2 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Can Openers
    GrillKing
    Our old electric can opener has finally died. We have had that thing for about 10 years now and want to get another one. My wife threw it out (because...
    2 weeks ago
  • Aldiena
    Crockpot Spaghetti
    Aldiena
    Has anyone done this before? Depending on the type of pasta I get (and the brand) I can let it cook on low for about five hours and sometimes I can manage...
    2 weeks ago
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chef Pol Martin

My father was Pol Martin, the Chef from Canada. He recently passed away from cancer which he had been fighting with for over a year. I am preparing a speech and thought I would add some comments from those he might have worked with over the years or anyone who had a fond memory of him or his cookbooks. If you have any input it is greatly welcomed. Thanks so much,
    Abigail

Dear Abigail,

I am so sorry to hear about Pol's passing. How old was he? I ask because I took his cooking courses in Montreal in 1978 when I was 32 yrs. old. All I knew was to put a chicken in the oven or a steak in a frying pan and boil veggies. Ouch! Pol personally taught not only how to cook wonderful recipes and how to sharpen a knife, the best butter to buy (Lactancia!), best pots and knives, he also taught me self confidence and creativity in cooking and really how easy it all can be. Bringing love to my cooking really makes a difference in the taste and enjoyment of the meal. My family thanks Pol as well! God bless you.

Comment

I didn't know him, but I am sorry about your loss. From the post above me, he seemed like a great guy and a wonderful chef.

Comment

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. Today, for the first time I read one of your fathers books, Canada, The Scenic Land Cook Book; I was so moved by the book that I 'googled' him. His passion of life speaks through the pages, and his photography welcomes us into the heart of our nation. Marystu

Comment

I just joined this site today so am just finding out about your father. I am so very sorry to about his passing for your sake and for the cooking community. His cookbook, Easy Cooking for Today is absolutely my favorite and I was just Googling your father's name to see if I could find out more information about him and if he has other cookbooks. It is particularly interesting to me that he was French Canadian as that is part of my lineage also and must be why I enjoy the food so well! He did the world a favor publishing this cookbook, it is absolutely wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by summer View Post
            My father was Pol Martin, the Chef from Canada. He recently passed away from cancer which he had been fighting with for over a year. I am preparing a speech and thought I would add some comments from those he might have worked with over the years or anyone who had a fond memory of him or his cookbooks. If you have any input it is greatly welcomed. Thanks so much,
            Abigail

My name is Martin Wright & I live here in Jacksonville, Florida.
            I knew your father very well & infact, I sold his famous cook book throuhout Vermont, N.H., N.Y. & through out New England.
            Infact, I sold 1500 of his books around the Burlington, Vt. area back in 1986 during Christmas & this was in ONE week. I can't begin to tell you the 1000's of books I moved for your father
            Your father was very impressed with my sales, that he did a book signing in Burlington. I still have my copy your father signed & addressed it personally to me.
            Does the name Jeff Banton ring the bell ?? Jeff lives in Montreal & the two of us worked together.
            Jeff was responsible for getting the books to me. If you know how to get ahold of Jeff, Please give my # to him.
            (904)322-7455.
            I bring Jeff up because Jeff was a key player with your father as well. I think between the two of us, we moved more books for your father than anyone.
            Please email me & I will try & give you more info.
            Thanks
            Marty

Comment

Thank You

Thank you so much for your wonderful memories of my Father. I am so happy he was able to transform your cooking to a joyful experience rather than just cooking. He would be so pleased to hear such kind words said about him.
              Thanks again and keep it up in the kitchen!

Originally posted by Pat View Post
              Dear Abigail,

I am so sorry to hear about Pol's passing. How old was he? I ask because I took his cooking courses in Montreal in 1978 when I was 32 yrs. old. All I knew was to put a chicken in the oven or a steak in a frying pan and boil veggies. Ouch! Pol personally taught not only how to cook wonderful recipes and how to sharpen a knife, the best butter to buy (Lactancia!), best pots and knives, he also taught me self confidence and creativity in cooking and really how easy it all can be. Bringing love to my cooking really makes a difference in the taste and enjoyment of the meal. My family thanks Pol as well! God bless you.

Comment

Hello Martin

Hi Martin,

I just think it is awesome that you moved my Father's cook books around the US. My father was very thankful to you for sure getting his books to the public. I will ask my Step-Mother Josee if she recalls you and Jeff, which I am sure she will. Thank you again for helping my Father get his books to so many.

Originally posted by m22wright View Post
                My name is Martin Wright & I live here in Jacksonville, Florida.
                I knew your father very well & infact, I sold his famous cook book throuhout Vermont, N.H., N.Y. & through out New England.
                Infact, I sold 1500 of his books around the Burlington, Vt. area back in 1986 during Christmas & this was in ONE week. I can't begin to tell you the 1000's of books I moved for your father
                Your father was very impressed with my sales, that he did a book signing in Burlington. I still have my copy your father signed & addressed it personally to me.
                Does the name Jeff Banton ring the bell ?? Jeff lives in Montreal & the two of us worked together.
                Jeff was responsible for getting the books to me. If you know how to get ahold of Jeff, Please give my # to him.
                (904)322-7455.
                I bring Jeff up because Jeff was a key player with your father as well. I think between the two of us, we moved more books for your father than anyone.
                Please email me & I will try & give you more info.
                Thanks
                Marty

Comment

Thank You

Easy Cooking for Today is also one of my favorite books of my Father's. Actually I love them all, but that one is timeless. Thank you for your kind words and I hope you continue to enjoy your work in the kitchen!

Originally posted by dkeller4 View Post
                  I just joined this site today so am just finding out about your father. I am so very sorry to about his passing for your sake and for the cooking community. His cookbook, Easy Cooking for Today is absolutely my favorite and I was just Googling your father's name to see if I could find out more information about him and if he has other cookbooks. It is particularly interesting to me that he was French Canadian as that is part of my lineage also and must be why I enjoy the food so well! He did the world a favor publishing this cookbook, it is absolutely wonderful.

Comment

Thank you Summer for your kind remarks.
                    Let me give you my website so you know who I am
                    http://www.wrightsmobiledetailing.com
                    I will stay in touch with you ok
                    Marty

Comment

So sorry to hear about your dad passing away. Must have been a great chef.

Please accept my most sincere condolences.
                      ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Comment

I'm also sorry to hear about your father's passing. My grandmother bought me Easy Cooking for Today years ago, and I loved how each recipe was presented, with beautiful photography and simple steps. I also loved how the book helped to introduce me to how easy and interesting dishes with a French accent could be. Your father wrote a book that ended up both influencing me along my journey to becoming a home cook as well as giving me another good memory of my grandmother.

Comment

Wow, sorry to hear about your father's passing to the great kitchen in the sky. I worked as a door to door salesman and sold all kinds of garbage I'm not proud of, but the one thing I remember as a quality product was one of your father's books, which I read one day under a shade tree after I had sold my quota. 20 years later and his crab salad, which I've adopted as my own, is still a hit with my family and friends, in fact I'm eating some right now. His creations must share a place in an astronomical number of hearts.

Comment

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that your father passed away. I just found out that out today. It was written on the back of a book of his that I picked up. I have a lot of his books and buy every single one that I see at a garage sale or in the store. His recipes are very easy to make.

He passed away the same day as my FIL.

Georgette in sunny Chateauguay, Qc

Comment

Originally posted by summer View Post
                              Abigail

hello Summer,

I'm sorry your father passed away. I have to say you that I received a collection of 50 fascicles of "International Cooking Course" in Portuguese, from my mother, as a birthday present, when I was a teenager.
                              I was not so happy, then, but now, more than 20 years passed, I still use the precious teachings of your father. I'm portuguese. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X