• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alton Brown

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Hot Topics This Month

Hot Topics This Month Module
Collapse

• WendyR
    Are Keurigs all they are hyped to be?
    WendyR
    I have had a couple people tell me that their Keurig coffee is the best tasting coffee that they've had at home. I haven't tried it yet. I don't want...
    3 weeks ago
  • WendyR
    Do you tell them the food is awful?
    WendyR
    If you are eating at someone's home and you are served something that is particularly horrible, do you tell them, or suffer through it? I've done both...
    3 days ago
  • Semigourmet
    What's on your menu this week.
    Semigourmet
    What are Y'all cookin this week?

Tonight I am going to make a Paprika Chicken with Brussels sprouts and roasted potatoes.
    then later...
    2 weeks ago
  • breny
    Has anyone given up soda?
    breny
    We try to be healthy but I have never kicked the soda habit. I cut down to just one a day, maybe two if it was the weekend and I was having an adult drink....
    4 weeks ago
  • GrillKing
    Caramelizing onions
    GrillKing
    Okay, so maybe this is a standard "dude" question, but what are caramelized onions and how do they get that way? I have seen them used in some...
    3 weeks ago
  • Semigourmet
    6 Hour Pork Butt
    Semigourmet
    Servings 10

Ingredients

1 pork butt 5 to 8 pounds, bone in or boneless, fat cap trimmed to 1/8 inch...
    3 weeks ago
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alton Brown

He's my favorite of all of them. I feel like I actually learn about something rather than just putting things together.

Plus, he's entertaining as hell.

Originally posted by cbabbman View Post
    He's my favorite of all of them. I feel like I actually learn about something rather than just putting things together.

Plus, he's entertaining as hell.
    I like his recipes for the most part. Too much silliness and fooling around for my money. Is all that really necessary? I DVR his show at take out all the stupid stuff he does along with the everlasting commercials.

Comment

I like his show too. I've tried a few of his recipes, including the brined turkey. Put it this way. The holidays used to be when I'd have an obligatory slice of turkey just to complement the stuffing and mashed potatoes, but with his turkey I went for thirds. I want to try his apple pie, but the darn pie plate thingy I ordered off amazon is backordered.
      I feel like I learn something when I'm watching him too. I feel like I'm learning a way of thinking about cooking that might help me improvise along the way. I don't know if that makes sense or not, but if I know the science behind why something works a certain way, I'll know how to put things together myself... :-)

Comment

Blasphemy Drama Queen.
        His recipes are great, his information is excellent and he's the most entertaining person on television. But my husband and I are both goofy, silly people. So his nonsense is right up our alley.
        I LOVE his show. And on top of everything else I love that he actually shows you ways that you can save money! Most celebrity chefs act like you should be willing to fly to France twice a month to pick up your salt. I like that Alton appreciates that not all people can afford to spend $2,000 on groceries and useless kitchen gadgets a month.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAutomaton View Post
          Blasphemy Drama Queen.
          His recipes are great, his information is excellent and he's the most entertaining person on television. But my husband and I are both goofy, silly people. So his nonsense is right up our alley.
          I LOVE his show. And on top of everything else I love that he actually shows you ways that you can save money! Most celebrity chefs act like you should be willing to fly to France twice a month to pick up your salt. I like that Alton appreciates that not all people can afford to spend $2,000 on groceries and useless kitchen gadgets a month.
          Blasphemy you say? Well okay, maybe so to the millions who love all the dramatics and silly stuff. I will admit that his recipes, techniques and information are very good and valuable. But I have to fast forward the goofy stuff. Am I forgiven?

Comment

Hmm. I guess I have to forgive you. My mother-in-law, who is in every other respect a delightful human being, also doesn't like all his shenanigans and carrying-on and I still love her.
            Alton has a special brand of humor that's not for everyone and I don't think I would like another show if the chef carried on in the same way. He is able to make it work for me when another chef would probably irritate me horribly. Ha.

Comment

And the funny thing, he is an actor, not a chef by proffession. I have learned a lot from his show and they even use it in the culinary programs in our high schools here.

Comment

Originally posted by kodiak View Post
                And the funny thing, he is an actor, not a chef by proffession. I have learned a lot from his show and they even use it in the culinary programs in our high schools here.
                Well, I had no idea he was an actor. That explains the "ham."

Comment

Originally posted by kodiak View Post
                  If I recall correctly from the Food Network bio, I think he was also a cinematographer for years, and he apparently writes and produces Good Eats himself.

It's my absolute favorite show on Food Network. I'm a goofy guy AND a science geek AND I love to cook, so it's just about perfect programming for me. Plus, every Alton Brown recipe I've tried has turned out awesome.

Comment

AB just plain rocks! He's the best thing on Food Network )

I manage to learn something from his shows, all of them, and that's probably the reason I think he's so great. Yeah, I've yet to have one of his recipes to disappoint. He teaches us well :

I've met AB several times and he's such a nice person. He takes time to actually talk with you at the book signings and events. He has a wicked sense of humor and if you're not careful he lower the boom on you. I'm sarcastic too, so I love bantering with him. But the first time I met him, I forgot my own first name. LOL

He's cool, if you like any of his shows and have a chance to attend an event do so. You will not be disappointed. And FYI, there's a Good Eats cookbook coming out in Oct and a book signing tour too

Comment

Alton is about the only reason I watch FN anymore. Most of the other shows are "dump and cook" shows. They don't give you the info like Alton does. They are just like following a recipe and give none of the information you need to learn to be a better cook.

Comment

Alton is alright. I mean, I like the guy, but I'm not crazy about him.

Though he has made some very good stuff.

Most of the cooks on the network DO make good things. Alton just seems a little brainy and eccentric at times.
                        ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley Green View Post
                          Alton is alright. I mean, I like the guy, but I'm not crazy about him.

Though he has made some very good stuff.

Most of the cooks on the network DO make good things. Alton just seems a little brainy and eccentric at times.
                          Alton's 'brainy' approach to cooking is exactly what drew me to Good Eats in the first place. Watching the show, I realized that I could follow a recipe but didn't know a lot about hows and whys of cooking. Most cooking shows give you a recipe and go though the process so quickly you don't have time to learn much. I have learned things from other TV chefs, but AB has taught me the most. And for that I am very grateful. I wanted to attend culinary school, but never could. Watching Good Eats (and AB's other shows) has been like the culinary education I've always wanted.

The other thing about Alton is he makes such informative and entertaining shows. Coming from the other side of the camera and not being a chef really influences the production value of his shows. I like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bentley Green View Post
                            YES, some of the cooks on FN do make good things, but all they do is say "now add this, dump this in, mix this, etc." It's like listening to someone read a recipe from a cookbook. I want to learn. I want to know why I should do this, and not just because someone tells me to. YES, Alton may seem a "little brainy and eccentric" to some people, but it's what makes Good Eats fun to watch and makes the lesson that he's teaching stick in your head.

I do have to say, that the only other person I've learned stuff from on FN is Emeril. But not as much as Alton.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                              YES, some of the cooks on FN do make good things, but all they do is say "now add this, dump this in, mix this, etc." It's like listening to someone read a recipe from a cookbook. I want to learn. I want to know why I should do this, and not just because someone tells me to. YES, Alton may seem a "little brainy and eccentric" to some people, but it's what makes Good Eats fun to watch and makes the lesson that he's teaching stick in your head.

I do have to say, that the only other person I've learned stuff from on FN is Emeril. But not as much as Alton.
                              This is the exact reason that I am such a fan of alton! I also miss Sarah Moutlon very much, she was such a wealth of knowledge.

Some of my non-cooking friends don't "get" cooking shows because they say "why do I want to watch someone making a recipe?" What separates the good shows from the useless ones are the ones that actually teach you, not just silly spins on recipes.
                              Check out my baking blog! bakingbetter.com

Comment

Working...
                              X