Pink pickled eggs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pink pickled eggs

We had pickled eggs quite a bit when I was growing up and I have always loved them. Does anyone make them? I've been looking for that old recipe where the eggs turn pink. I think they were made with beets or beet juice. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I've seen the eggs you're talking about but never made the recipe myself. They are so good, though, aren't they?! My dad and I used to eat them by the jar; it always grossed my mom out.

Comment

I've never made them myself, but this post made me curious about giving it a go, so I looked for some recipes online. I found one through All Recipes that I copied below:

You need:

8 eggs
      2 (15 oz) cans of whole pickled beets
      1 chopped onion
      1 cup of white sugar
      3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
      1/2 tsp of salt
      a pinch of pepper

Directions:

First hard boil your eggs, then let them cool and peel them.

Put the beets, eggs, and onion together in a Mason jar (or other glass jar).

In a medium sized saucepan, combine the sugar, beet juice from the canned beets, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Boil it and then lower the heat and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.

Pour the liquid over the beets/eggs/onions, then cover it and refrigerate. Give it about two days to "soak" before you eat the eggs.

Comment

Thanks! Those will be so good to added to green salads or potato salads. I'll be picking up some canned beets the next shopping trip. I might try using them for deviled eggs for the holidays. I'll have to make a few and sample them first.

Comment

I hate beets (I think) since I was a kid. But I only tried canned beets, not fresh beets.
          I make pickled eggs sometimes. I use the left over juice from a jar of picked hot peppers. I add garlic and red pepper flakes. The pepper flakes make the vinegar a light colored red.

Comment

It's funny, but I have never tried fresh beets. I have no idea how to prepare them. That may be something I will be looking into. I'd give it a try. I don't even recall if I've seen them for sale at the local market.

I like canned beets. When I was a kid I would rub them on my lips and pretend I was wearing lipstick.

Comment

Thanks for posting that recipe, life_is. I don't like pickled eggs at all, but my husband does and it would be a nice surprise if I made them for him. They probably won't last long at my house!

Comment

A certain amount of patience is needed for them to sit in the brine and get pickled. I've made the regular pickled eggs several times but I really wanted to make some of the pink ones like I remembered from years ago. I am going to have to look for some of those gigantic jars.

Comment

Originally posted by WendyR View Post
                  A certain amount of patience is needed for them to sit in the brine and get pickled. I've made the regular pickled eggs several times but I really wanted to make some of the pink ones like I remembered from years ago. I am going to have to look for some of those gigantic jars.
                  The bar I go to sells them. He gets them from Sam's Club.

Comment

Sorry for the late post but I just joined. Beet juice! Mustard seed, One entire garlic peeled and scored, dehydrated onion, dill flakes (or fresh), allspice and apple cider vinegar, one dozen medium eggs and a quart Mason jar, 2 tsp (adjust to taste) sugar and salt. Optionally you can add as many pierced HOT peppers as you can stand. This is all you need for the best pickled eggs ever. I've made 9 quarts this month alone. I need the egg cartons for seed germination. I keep my favorite pub supplied with pickled eggs, asparagus and Brussels sprouts for their famous Bloody Marys. Adjust ingredients to your own taste. If you use fresh eggs, poke a pin hole in the small end of the egg so it will peel more easily (peel while very warm). I make my brine much stronger than most people because eggs are relatively non porous and don't uptake flavor the same as veggies. Also, remove eggs from heat as soon as they come to boil and cover them for 15 minutes for the perfect boiled egg. I hope you enjoy!

Comment

The brussel sprouts have me interested as well. I have used spicy pickled green beans in the past for Bloody Marys and Caesar cocktails.
                      “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
                      – Julia Child

Comment

Pink Pickled Eggs seems quite odd, I've never come across them before. I think I'll make them tomorrow and wake my Husband up with them Thanks for the idea

Comment

Originally posted by sofarris View Post
                          Pink Pickled Eggs seems quite odd, I've never come across them before. I think I'll make them tomorrow and wake my Husband up with them Thanks for the idea
                          They are not designed to be served as breakfast. They are more a bar type snack to eat with a cold beer. Not quite what someone would like in the morning. At least I should say at least lunch time before i could appreciate them.

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

Working...
                          X