Canning Salt/Pickling Salt?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canning Salt/Pickling Salt?

Big hello to everyone, this is my first ever time to do this , so I'm typing very cautiously. I'm trying to use up lots of tomatoes and decided to try making relish. The recipe states, use canning/pickling salt, I've never heard of it nor can I locate it in Ireland. Can anyone help with a possible location for where I can get it or maybe even an alternative. Big thank you

No recipes posted here, please. Please post them in the Recipes forum in their proper categories. Thanx.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

I read somewhere that pickling salt is just normal salt free of additives, something to do with how it affects the colour of the pickle.

A lot of rock salts are free of additives, I know the Saxa one is. And given that you need to heat the relish before you can jar it all the salt will dissolve.

Comment

Isn't sea salt free of additives?
        ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Essentially, Sherm, I think you are correct. Pure table salt is available in most markets. Table salt contains Iodine and Silicon, the former as a health measure, the latter to prevent lumps. Iodine can discolor pickled foods. Silicon is not necessary, although it probably doesn't hurt.

Some pickle salts, I think, contain potassium which helps the color.

If you have a local butcher who makes bacon, ham, corned beef, or pickles, you might ask them. They buy salt in hundred pound bags.

Summation: If you can't find pickling salt, just grab a large bag of non iodized salt, preferably without silicon. It may be labeled Kosher.
          Last edited by jimbo; 08-02-2011, 10:18 AM. Reason: Terrible spelling

Comment

Thanx.

Potassium is GOOD for the body though. It helps keep you from getting cramps.

The fluid pills (lasix) that I'm, on, they have a serious side effect if I take too many. It depleats the potassium level to the point where I start getting cramps in my legs and feet. Especially when I'm in bed at night.

Standing up for a few minutes was the only way to ease the extreme discomfort them. The cardiologist had reduced the amount that I was taking, from 60mg to 20mg. Now, the cramps are gone!
            Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 08-02-2011, 11:53 AM.
            ~BDH.

Comment

If Ireland is like the rest of the British Isles you will find there isn't added iodine in any salt, and the anti caking agent isn't silicon either, instead the anti caking agent will be a sodium compound or magnesium compound (or both).

I don't know how either of these agents effect your relish, however I have never put so much thought into salt before *it's starting to hurt my brain a little* and my pickles always come out well.

Comment

I did not know that the UK and Ireland used far less iodized salt than the US. According to what I just read, half the salt sold in the US is iodized, in the UK less than 5%. With that in mind, most any salt in the UK would be acceptable for pickling
                Last edited by jimbo; 08-02-2011, 10:54 PM.

Comment

I'm thrilled to have received such a response. Thank you for all your inputs. I hope after all this my relish turns out to be worth it.

Comment

Make sure to tell us how it does turn out!

Comment

oppps, sorry about posting the recipe, didn't think (brain went out the door when grandkids came in the door), was just trying to give some help and goofed.

I don't have a clue what can be done except ask those in the area you live who might have or do canning. If you know someone who is older, or has an older relative, they may be able to help you.
                      Good luck in finding what you need.

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

Working...
                      X