• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
  • We have detected that you don't have an account with us yet (or haven't logged in). We encourage you to register an account: it's free, and then you'll be able to post on the forum!

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

ISO: Coconut Custard Pie

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Welcome to vBulletin!

Welcome to vBulletin! Module
Collapse

Welcome to your vBulletin forum! You can click "Edit Site" above for site administration options.

To edit or remove this module, click "edit site", then "edit page".

Latest Topics

Latest Topics Module
Collapse

Advertisement

Advertisement Module
Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISO: Coconut Custard Pie

I'm looking for a good recipe for Coconut Custard Pie.

NOT Coconut Cream Pie. Coconut Cream Pie is a filling made of pastry cream or vanilla pudding, into which you stir the coconut, then pour it into a pre-baked shell and chill it.

I'm looking for a pie that is a true coconut custard baked in the shell. Does anyone have something TnT? One thought was to just make a custard pie and add coconut, but I don't think that will have the depth I'm looking for. Has anyone ever subbed out coconut milk for all or part of the dairy in a custard? Since coconut milk isn't really dairy, how do you think it would affect the texture of the custard?

Any ideas?

I normally just use a recipe for plain Custard Pie and just add shredded coconut to the top before baking it.

Comment

When my hub and I were living in our first apartment I had a fantastic coconut custard pie recipe. It called for fresh grated coconut to be simmered in milk. Then the "coconut" milk was used for the custard with more fresh grated coconut. I made it several times and everyone raved. BUT we moved after we got married and I have never been able to find the hand written recipe. If you find a good recipe please let us know.

Comment

If you've got a TnT plain custard pie recipe you could always try tigerlilly's method using the quantities for your plain pie recipe. The amount of coconut would obviously be guess work though.

Comment

I have tried a Thai desert of coconut custard served in a half pumpkin shell that is excellent. It is basically an egg custard made normally but the milk is substituted for thick coconut milk or half and half.

Comment

PappaL, I was wondering about that. What texture do you get by using the coconut milk instead of half & half? Is it as smooth?

Comment

Originally posted by SilverSage View Post
              PappaL, I was wondering about that. What texture do you get by using the coconut milk instead of half & half? Is it as smooth?

It probably gets down to mouth feel and straight coconut milk seems a little smoother because of the extra fat.

Comment

I've only made regular custard and added coconut before baking, but using coconut milk sounds wonderful.

I used this recipe and the custard was melt in your mouth good. I didn't use the food coloring because it doesn't need to be there, and I used fresh eggs from a friend's chickens and they were nice and brightly colored. This might be a good recipe to start with. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/grandmas-egg-custard-pie/

I also blind baked my crust to avoid a soggy bottom. I didn't want to overcook the custard to get the bottom cooked. I cooked until it was just set and jiggly like jello.

Comment

I have to get something to weigh the pie crust down for blind baking. Otherwise, the crust will puff up and get out of shape.

But all this talk about coconut custard pie is making my mouth water for some!! Where are my pie plates?!!

Comment

BDH, I have ceramic pie weights for this, but if you can use dried beans instead. A bag of dried beans (any kind) is inexpensive and can be reused over and over. Just don't try to cook them after you bake them!

Comment

BDH, I have ceramic pie weights for this, but if you can use dried beans instead. A bag of dried beans (any kind) is inexpensive and can be reused over and over. Just don't try to cook them after you bake them!
                      I also have the ceramic pie weights. I love them.

Comment

Thanx.

Yeah, I heard that dried beans does the trick.

I'll have to get some that I wouldn't like to cook at all.

But for custard pies, there's no need to blind blake the crust first.
                        Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 02-08-2012, 03:03 AM.

Comment

I think WhoopiePie is right about blind baking. Custard and pie crust don't play well together without a little help. In order to get the silkiest custard, you need a low, gentle heat. But that low heat allows too much time for the filling to make the crust soggy. In order to get the crust cooked through and crisp, you need a higher, drier heat. Blind baking first solves the problem.

One of the most exquisite custard pies is an old classic that you rarely see anymore. It's called a Slipped Custard Pie. You bake an empty pie shell and let it cool. In a separate pie plate, you cook the custard and let it chill. When it's time to serve, you "slip" the entire custard filling (all in one piece) into the baked pie shell. Perfect custard and perfect crust!

Comment

I remember seeing a recipe for a slipped custard pie in one of my mom's Better Homes and Gardens 70's era cookbooks, never used that method though.

I agree Silversage, I prefer a custard to be silky and melt in your mouth. Over baking will coagulate the custard and the texture just isn't the same (usually resulting in cracks). You just can't (in my experience) get a cooked crust and a perfectly cooked custard without baking the crust first. One of my least favorite parts of pumpkin or sweet potato pies is the gummy crust.

I use beans to blind bake.

Comment

Working...
                            X