This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Owner

A couple of days a go an old friend contacted me to tell me one of his business partners was trying to find someone to take over operations of a cooking forum. He put me in touch with Enrique and he told me that he loved the forum but no longer had time to maintain it due to other commitments.
    So here I am.
    I'm looking forward to hearing feedback on the forum about what you would like to see in the future.

My name is Michael. I have been a professional chef for over 30 years including work in Canada, the US and the Caribbean.
    I spent 8 years as an instructor at the Culinary Institute of Canada and I am currently working as a research and development chef for an independent food product development center.

Chef Blue
    “If you are afraid of butter, use cream.”
    – Julia Child

Originally posted by PappaLazarou
    The only thing "Enrique" loved about this forum was inventinting sock puppets to keep the regulars like myself amused. Prove to us you can do better !

Hi, ChefBlue. Welcome aboard!

Also, first things first. These are a few of the things that need to be taken care of asap;

1. #1 on the list is to set up the board in such a way that will once & for all STOP spammers from signing up. Well, I don't know if you can really stop them, but there IS usually a telltale sign, and it usually begins with their names, & that would give them away. Or you can set it up so that the mods have control over their signups - much like we were able to do when we had the old format.

2. Would you be able to fix those problems that myself & the other mods had with moving spamming & trolling posts to the Trash Bin? We've been having trouble with that, as it just won't work. The Move Posts words are not there for us to do it with.

3. Last but not least, I think what PappaLazarou is asking is, will you be here for us on a regular basis? No, you don't have to 'LIVE" here or be here 24/7/365, but we need an admin who is going to have our backs if or when things go rough here. Not some 'fly-by-night who only shows up here once every blue moon, like the last two admins have. Not saying that YOU might do that, but hey, we've had to fend for ourselves here the best way that we could.

Because frankly, quite a few of us have lost our trust with the board, because there was no one here to help us when we had problems, as the board was becoming very problematic & we became quite fed up & disgusted with it.

If you can do these things for us, it would be greatly appreciated, and we'd feel more at home, knowing that we now have an admin who will be here for us when the going gets rough.
    Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 02-27-2015, 04:13 AM.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

I intend to be checking in on a daily basis. The only time I won't be able to do that is once or twice a year I am in Cuba and internet access is limited.
      Work is already under way to control the number of false sign ups. We will have to work on balancing that and spam controls with making sure it is still convenient for the community.

As for moderating functions, give me a little time to catch up on the software. I haven't used vBulletin since v3.

I will probably be looking at migrating to a different software eventually. vBulletin has been a bit of a nightmare since Jelsoft was taken over by IB.
      – Julia Child

Comment

Hi, Michaeal, glad to meet you. Due to family and I'll leave it at that I have not been on here fro quite some time. Just started coming back and am having all kinds of issues signing in. once that is corrected then I will probably be here every day. Hope some problems will be fixed. Good luck! and thank you for taking on the task of this site. I look forward to working with you here.
        Mary

I'm not a chef, and I don't play on one television

Comment

Thank you Semigourmet. (Mary is it?)
          If you get an error signing in or at any other time can you grab a screen shot or jot down the error(s) as they happen so I can address them?
          – Julia Child

Comment

• Semigourmet
            Semigourmet commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, it's Mary. and Thank you I will do that next time it happens.

Welcome aboard Chef Blue! I agree with Big Daddy in that it has been VERY frustrating doing the mod job for awhile now. Looking forward to working with you.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Never explain yourself. Your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe it anyway.

“Your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain.”
          -Dave Barry

Comment

Thanks TigerLilly. A community is only as good as its members and members rely on moderators to make the environment an inviting one. I will make it my mission to make your jobs easier.
            The only unfortunate thing is the software platform that was chosen for the forum but we will make it work.
            – Julia Child

Comment

Originally posted by ChefBlue View Post
              Thanks TigerLilly. A community is only as good as its members and members rely on moderators to make the environment an inviting one. I will make it my mission to make your jobs easier.
              The only unfortunate thing is the software platform that was chosen for the forum but we will make it work.

Tyler & Enrique DID mention a while back, that there were problems with the software for the board.

That it was stopping certain functions & apps from working like they should. That probably explains why we are not able to do the things that we were able to do in the past.

But as long as we know that you are working to try to make the board better, and it shows that, it seems to give us a glimmer of hope that we now have an admin who will work WITH us, and help make this board what it iused to be like.
              ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!! http://www.cookingforums.net/core/im...ilies/wink.png

Comment

Well, phew This means I can put my forum plans on hold, as it would be so much better if this forum was revitalised - we have so many recipes and past posts here which it would be a shame to lose. It was just becoming so frustrating, what with all the spam and so on. Chef Blue - if you need any EU (well UK/Ireland) time zone moderation help, I'd be delighted to help out - no one person can watch for spam 24 hours a day, but with the international members we have here, perhaps we could manage 24 hour spamwatch between us If i can help in any way at all, let me know - this is really good news that someone who is actually interested in the forum has taken over!

Comment

Thank you Darkginger. I will keep you in mind as the forum grows.
                  Hopefully we will come to a point where we have member/moderators from all corners.
                  – Julia Child

Comment

Hello ChefBlue. Two things I can think of.
                    1) I would love to visit Cuba one day.
                    2) When responding to a post while using the "quote" function, spell check is not available. Does not work. But a response in a blank response field will allow spell check.
                    Enrique told me he was working on it, but never heard back. It only will not work when you are quoting someone.

Thanks and TIA......John

Comment

At the moment there is no fix for this issue. It is a known issue and vBulletin has failed in over two years to address it.
                      I am not a fan of this software in any way but we work with what we have because vBulletin has made it impossible to downgrade or switch to a different forum platform.

You definitely should visit Cuba. I have spent a considerable amount of time there and plan on retiring there.
                      – Julia Child

Comment

For anyone who has Windows 7 & up, you can download and have the Spell Checker function installed on your pc, from Dictionary Boss.

Any older OS before Win 7 just won't get it for you. My home computer has Win 7, but my laptop does not. I will soon be looking into getting a new laptop, that possibly has Win 7 or maybe Win 9.

Also, try downloading Google Chrome. They have Spell Checker. Win Vista is no longer being supported by Internet Explorer. I didn't like it at first, but had to get it, because certain websites, mainly Facebook, will not work properly without it. It stalls out & freezes up! Google Chrome has it working better now. And has the Spell Checker function.
                        Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 03-04-2015, 10:43 AM.
                        ~BDH.

Comment

Not going to be a Windows 9 BDH. They are skipping right to v10.
                          They are offering a free upgrade to v10 for everyone who has a computer from XP and above in the first year after release.
                          I've used the Beta version and I think it will be a good upgrade.

Chrome spell check works but not in a quoted reply. There is no right click options for spell check within vBulletin.
                          – Julia Child

Comment

Hot Topics This Month

Collapse

• CaribouWho
                            Ice cream makers, any recommendations?
                            CaribouWho
                            Hi all, I'm keen to get into ice cream making and wondering if anyone has any experience with the different machines.

I've found this guide...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • Gillian
                            Potato Soup
                            Gillian
                            Has anyone got a good recipe for potato soup please? Alternatively suggest what to do with some wrinkly old potatoes which have grown roots already?...
                            3 weeks ago
                          Working...
                          X